Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Breaking Science. Autumn Watch reveal deer rut 24 hours a day

Breaking Science. Autumn Watch reveal deer rut 24 hours a day

Did nt know that. When I was up in the highlands in early October I thought all the night time roaring was lions and that rutting and fighting only happened in day time.

According to Autumn Watch This is is a new finding for science.

Now do foxes bonk at night?

Well i I can reveal that.....
    Last edited by Heym SR20; 05-11-2015 at 23:51.

And the bit on Tits and legs and two grown men looking at them - sounded like a 70s adult movie ( alledgedly)

I also watched this programme (should have turned over) Having just spent a month in the highlands of Scotland I wondered what all that noise at night was on the surrounding hills on my lease. And there was also whistling as well................do you think Sika also rut at night

It took the idiot on Autumn watch all night sitting in a landrover to figure it out...............I wonder if the Landrover started ok the next morning
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

Generally the Public think it is all new groundbreaking science and what clever people they are. Of course the usual knock Gamekeepers on the demise of Red Kites from the female skeleton they employ and the thinly veiled "Some of our Hen Harriers are missing". What they omitted to say was most of the failed nests were on RSPB land and the successful ones on keepered land. Whilst the BBC continues to employ such people as Packham I am afraid we have little chance of informing the Public what nature and the countryside is really about.
    I must stop watching such drivel and watch the kid's programmes instead, as they make more sense.
    Honour all men, Love the Brotherhood, Fear God, Honour the Queen.

Keep the Faith.

So I can at least partially explain what happened here. I share a department with the people who work on the Rum deer project, and know them and what they're doing well. They aren't idiots. However, the Beeb seems to have felt the need to simplify and sex up the story.

So: we all know the stags roar through the night - it's hard to miss. But what wasn't known was what the females were doing. Genetic data indicated that a proprtion of females weren't mating with the stag that held their harem - and instead were mating with stags some distance away. But no one had seen them moving to do this during the day. The obvious inference was that they must be doing it at night.

So they went out and watched using thermal/IR. And sure enough, the females were sneaking out of their harems under cover of darkness and moving to outher harems to get matings. The stags try to stop them from doing this, and can usually manage in the day, but can't do it so well at night.

It seems the BBC didn't quite get that the interesting part of the story was the females sneaking about - not the males carrying on roaring.

The intresting bit was when one stag(?Smooth) had an anter broken in a fight, and how the dynamics changed afer that.

How much do theses stags weigh they said 100kg, surely a bit more than that.

Do you ever think we will see a badger predating a hedgehog on the BBC?

D

Quote Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
    So I can at least partially explain what happened here..................................
    Thanks for that, although it's obviously far to interesting to be lowest common denominator fodder on Autumn Watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyres View Post

Do you ever think we will see a badger dating a hedgehog on the BBC?
    Fixed it for you to make it suitable to be discussed at the next BBC production meeting.

No charge etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
    So they went out and watched using thermal/IR. And sure enough, the females were sneaking out of their harems under cover of darkness and moving to outher harems to get matings.

Slags!.....

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    Slags!.....
    It's not as bad as you might think.

The genetics suggests that, at least some of the time, they're doing it because the harem holding stag is a close relative. So they're trying to avoid getting shagged by their cousins. Unusually discriminating for the Western Isles...