Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Air rifle suitable for a youngster

Air rifle suitable for a youngster

For a 6 year old grandson so must be very lightweight, at small end of the spectrum and in vgc
    Also, any suggestions from knowledgable airgunners on models to look out for for 1st guns would be gratefully received!
    Thanks

I would recommend a PCP or CO2. AirArms S200 springs to mind. similar size Brocock contour, Falcon FN12. I have a moddified S200 for my son. very small and light.

I would second a PCP, a BSA ultra might be good for a youngster. Ultras can be had for not a lot of money, you need to factor in a pump or dive bottle to refill it. Springers can be harsh to shoot and very difficult to cock for kids.

I do have an ultra. it is great little gun and accurate but finicky to cock. not suitable for 6yo

If budget is an issue and not shooting lots get a king Crossman ratcatcher. light and much cheaper CO2 rifle
    Last edited by TSG; 06-11-2015 at 11:37.

A lot of the older break barrel spring air rifles are still available quite cheaply, they're small/compact/light and often low powered so very little recoil. I had a BSA Meteor, I still have a Relum and an old ASI Statical that only does 5 ft/lb! Ideal for kids! Only down side is you might end up with one that needs a new spring or piston seal, but they're quite cheap and readily available from Knibbs or Chambers if you're handy with tools.

Would an air pistol be an option to start off with? Again, my kids have both enjoyed plinking with my Diana/Original Mod 6 and Webley Hurricane.

You can pick up brand new Crossman CO2 pistols very cheaply (around 85). Crossman also do an extended stock version that turns it into a short, very light carbine rifle. Think its called a Ratcatcher.

If you like the idea of a PCP rifle, the Air Arms S200 mentioned by TSG would be ideal, another option might be BSA Ultra, although they are fairly heavy due to the air cylinder.

I really think the Ratcatcher might be worth a look, small, light and 135 brand new.

If you want to go springer for simplicity/cost, I'd have a look at a Gamo Whisper, mostly plastic, light, easy to cock and there is a junior version; Gamo Delta fox GT Whisper Junior .177.

Quote Originally Posted by TSG View Post
    I do have an ultra. it is great little gun and accurate but finicky to cock. not suitable for 6yo

If budget is an issue and not shooting lots get a king Crossman ratcatcher. light and much cheaper CO2 rifle
    is that the MMC ultra, I can imagine that being awkward. The bolt actions are easy, my kids can operate my scorpion with no problem

the rat catcher could be a good option

I would go with the ratcatcher for these reasons
    Good second hand value when he grows out of it, most gun shops will buy these back from you as they are reliable in the main.
    approx 8ft pounds enough to start teaching and gives tin cans a satisfying thump for a 6 year old, accurate enough to progress to bottle tops.
    The extras needed (co2 and pellets) are easily available and relatively cheap

I have an AA S200 mk1 that has been used for many a night controlling feral pigeons and rabbits. Tried it just the other week with 5 year old nephew - he is an inch or so taller than most of the other 5 year olds in his class and the stock will be too long for him for a couple of years yet. You only really get around 35 usable shots out of the s200 (they originally claimed 50) and then only if you do not fill beyond 190bar. Filling requires either trips to gunshop, a pump or a dive bottle - all 3 options will work out more expensive than the ratcatcher over a year or two - especially trips to the gunshop.

Its worth remembering that if there are children in your household who are under 18 years of age then airguns have to be locked away in your cabinet.

Quote Originally Posted by Essex stalker View Post
    Its worth remembering that if there are children in your household who are under 18 years of age then airguns have to be locked away in your cabinet.
    Good point but not quite accurate, they have to be made secure, so that an under 18 year old cannot have them in their possession (ie a trigger lock is not suitable unless it secure the gun to something solid) doesn't have to be in a gun cabinet. I have secured mine with padlock and chain fed through an innaccessible fixing in the back of a wardrobe.

I have a small springer SMK and a ratcatcher for my kids, the springer has an awful trigger but fits, whereas the ratcatcher is quite good but the stock is REALLY long for kids, if under about 12 year old its too long to use.

just checked and the LOP of the ratcatcher is near 16"!!! 2" longer than my adult air rifles, seems a bit mad for a rifle that is otherwise suitable for kids. I would saw it down but being skeleton it would leave it with no buttplate.
    Last edited by Druid; 06-11-2015 at 13:22.