Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Deer stalking and the use of modern technology

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)

Deer stalking and the use of modern technology

With the on-set of modern technology are we being fair to quarry species?

In my opinion God does not exist. In my eyes we have evolved in to the species of animals we are today through a set of genetic freaks born out of nature. Those natural experiments that nature chooses to embark on. Some make it, many do not.
    So we arrive at todays modern animals. All have come through many variations. Small modifications having taken place through the millennia. The constant struggle to outwit the species that preys on you as a food source. This applies equally to plants as it does to animals.

It is with those thoughts that we arrive at todays conundrum.
    Are humans that choose to use the latest really playing "the game"?

In the past, we, as a predatory species would have evolved a new tactic to be able to better hunt our prey. This advance would have been tiny, but might have just given us enough of an advantage. This may have been, eyes on stalks for looking over hills without revealing ourselves, camoflage for better concealment, longer legs for faster running. Then as we are a better hunter we naturally breed more and the trait is re-enforced. The prey in return will then evolve as only the fittest survive. Once again the ones that run fastest, have better reaction times, or maybe are a bit more scittish and run at the slightest incident.
    However with the beginning of the industrial revolution and man-kinds real awakening to the products and science that he can produce, has come a cessation of the age old struggle of advancement and counter-advancement when it comes to the killing of animals.

Now some will say that if I am arguing against technology then why don't I use a bow and arrow. Well I can't. If I legally could, I would.
    So some will say well why not use a rifle with open sights. Well, I have. But I have decided that to be as humane as I can be then a telescopic sight is as far as I need to go.
    Many people are now using TI. Lots of people agree with it as a tool for control and where pest control is required then I am all for it. But for the recreational stalker, I cannot see that it has any place.

Going back to my original point and putting it into context.
    We have developed guns, to which we have attached sights. Deer have responded by changing their habits. They emerge later in the evening. We in return have adjusted our stalking sights. We have larger optics that gather light more efficiently. The deer where heavily hunted will go completely nocturnal or sometimes will then start to emerge in the middle of the day as they learn your habits.

With problem that I have with TI is that we are making such a massive leap in terms of evolving that would normally take hundreds of years to work its way through the gene pool. Technology we can be rolled out and on the ground with cost being the only thing that holds anything back.
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

And I bet you prefer sex standing up in a hammock.

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    Quote Originally Posted by JTO View Post
    And I bet you prefer sex standing up in a hammock.

I'll take sex anywhere I can get it. Which being married means anytime anywhere.
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

It's the 'sporting' v 'culling' conundrum. If it's a job, technology presses onward and leaves the Luddites behind. I'm happy to be in the latter camp, but know that as tech marches on, it will drift down.

War has sped up firearms development so much,man has just adapted it to "kill"his quarry .Thats why the yanks love all their toys that would make us walk away.Tradition for me ,dont want electronic calls and thermal sights .Wheres the "stalking"in scanning your land???
    she buys shoes i buy ,shooting,she stops buying shoes,il be amazed

I must meet the wrong yanks, as hunting laws there are much stricter than in the UK, night vision and thermal are far more common in the UK , electronic calls are used for vermin, but not game shooting apart from ducks, but mouth calls are used mainly.

I fear that the demand for modern "dual use" technology developed from military equipment is unstoppable, unless the fear of it falling into the wrong hands drives stricter regulation.

So in my own opinion on the subject, Thermal Imagery for accurate deer census and thus better deer management is a good thing - for deer.
    Thermal Imagery for culling is what military snipers and attack helicopter pilots do - not stalkers.

As ever, the moral choice rests with whoever is pulling the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by teyhan1 View Post
    In my opinion God does not exist. In my eyes we have evolved in to the species of animals we are today through a set of genetic freaks born out of nature. Those natural experiments that nature chooses to embark on. Some make it, many do not.
    So we arrive at todays modern animals. All have come through many variations. Small modifications having taken place through the millennia. The constant struggle to outwit the species that preys on you as a food source. This applies equally to plants as it does to animals.
    well why don't the deer hurry up an develop cloaking technology like the klingons?

Let's be honest our basic technology was pretty well sorted in the first decade of the last century. Rifles and cartridges haven't materially changed. Optics have improved in the last 20 odd years, but I am shooting a 40 year old zeiss scope and a current generation has more zoom and red dots and costs a lot more but you can still put a bullet into a 4" kill zone out 200 yards with ease. High light gathering scopes - zeiss 8x56 etc have been around since ww2.

Laser range finding and IR or image intensifying type sights are now affordable, but have been around a long time. Lamping has improved - no longer do you need to lug a car battery around.

what has happened though is manufacturers and vendors have created the need and desire for more kit, and mankind has evolved from a hunter gatherer into a toy gatherer. That V12 scope will be better than the v8 and will make you a better hunter I am sure. But it will relieve you of a hard earned £4000 and keep the engineers in funds to develop the v16, which you will then need tops end £10k to make you an even better hunter!!!

As the price of TI comes down, the uses that it can be put to will become more diverse and mundane. Once that happens and a spotting device of some sort is in the low £ hundreds, the use of them will become the norm and we will all come to an accommodation with our moral reservations.

The only thing I can see that will practically stop this happening is if the technology is restricted by law.

That's the way it's gone with every other technical advance, I cant see why this one would be any different.