Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cheap safes are really not secure

Cheap safes are really not secure

On the back of another thread about separate storage of bolts I thought I would share this gem of a video that demonstrates how poor some of the cheap electronic safes are.

A few people use them as ammo safes etc. A friend of mine used to use one to keep his main gun cabinet keys in, looks like he may as well have not bothered.

Not only safes, recently broke into a gun cabinet for which the keys had been lost, thought it would be a big job less
    than five minutes tools involved one heavy duty screwdriver and one hammer.

can you edit above post? - removing how quickly it can be done, and what tools to use?
    I see no benefit in publicising the fact
    Last edited by simonl; 07-11-2015 at 21:03.

Quote Originally Posted by simonl View Post
    can you edit above post? - removing how quickly it can be done, and what tools to use?
    I see no benefit in publicising the fact
    Mate. It's on you tube, therefore far more obvious to anyone who cares to look than a stalking forum. However if it shows just one shooter that uses this site that his equipment is not secure then it is worth posting.
    if you bother to search on YouTube you will see lots of these sorts of things.

Security is a matter of slowing down the intruder. If he wants it, he'll get it. (Millenium dome/digger/sledge hammer scenario. Hatton Garden, etc. etc.).
    Have you ever tried the 'slapping it on top' jobbie?. I have on several different solenoid locked boxes. Never once got it to work - but did hurt my hand!.

Quite right. There's nothing totally secure. But, as they say, knowledge is power. A good policy to follow is to make it more trouble than it's worth. For that reason, you may think that well hidden keys are better than a key safe that you can see. But then a hidden key safe....

I have the same electronic safe I saw this video 2 years ago and sorted the problem with 2 washers under the spring and by stretching the spring it now works fine.
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY

Quote Originally Posted by Druid View Post
    Mate. It's on you tube, therefore far more obvious to anyone who cares to look than a stalking forum. However if it shows just one shooter that uses this site that his equipment is not secure then it is worth posting.
    if you bother to search on YouTube you will see lots of these sorts of things.
    I didn't mean your post actually. It was the gun safe one

A cordless angle grinder and some 1mm slitting discs and any safe is toast in seconds. All you are trying to do is slow down the casual thief.

Quote Originally Posted by PointBlank View Post
    A cordless angle grinder and some 1mm slitting discs and any safe is toast in seconds. All you are trying to do is slow down the casual thief.
    Hmmm I doubt that.... Recently had the criminal fraternity of London try and enter a safe at work, They had all night going at it with grinders, breakers and torches and still didn't get in.

As for gun safes..... They are not all manufactured the same. Burton safes are a bit more expensive but are much better made than competitors imo.

Its sometimes cheaper to keep an eye on ebay and buy a second hand document safe or large office safe for not that much more money that a gun safe.