Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nosler Ballistic Silvertip 224 55gr Varmint

Nosler Ballistic Silvertip 224 55gr Varmint

I have a box of these which are very accurate in my rifle, I bought them when I couldn't find any V-max for roe stalking. So far I've only used them on the range and I have V-max now. Has anyone used these on roe effectively? I don't want to waste them but also, I don't want to be using them if they're no good.

they like v-max are not deer legal in Scotland, all bullets for deer 'must be designed to deform in a predictable manner' where as varmint bullets fragment. Try sierra, they are great bullets for loading at the right price. PPU loaded ammo is excellent value for money too.

V-max & Nosler BT are deer legal in Scotland. I know of people who use them satisfactorily on Roe.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul at Fechan View Post
    they like v-max are not deer legal in Scotland, all bullets for deer 'must be designed to deform in a predictable manner' where as varmint bullets fragment. Try sierra, they are great bullets for loading at the right price. PPU loaded ammo is excellent value for money too.
    Really???

BS
    some deer hunting bullets are designed to fragment, others are designed to mushroom. At high speed the Sierra's will also fragment, haven't seen a bullet yet that didn't fragment under certain conditions.... even AP mil ammo.
    55gr Nos BT & 55gr V-max have taken many many Sika/Red/Fallow deer in Ireland and have done the job. On a small roe I would not have issues.
    edi

V-max are legal definitely, are you thinking of A-max?
    Most of my roe for the past few years were shot with 55gr Vmax, they were all very dead, very quickly. I've used Sierra 125gr SP in my 303, that works too. I just wondered about the "varmint" tag on the Nosler Silvertip and was considering keeping them for long range bunny bashing.

I can't see how this can be true. V-Max and Silvertips are ballistic tips, sure - as are many of the other popular deer rounds.

I assume you were partly quoting this: "Rifle bullets must be either hollow nosed or soft nosed. Note: this is generally interpreted to include “ballistic tip” and other bullets designed to deform in a predictable manner." Obviously, I would want to read the primary legislation.

(Edit to say that it seems I and a few other people posted at the same time. )
    Last edited by rabbitter; 08-11-2015 at 22:30.

The bullets mentioned as well as V Max would be legal in Scotland as they do deform in a predictable manner, albeit a fairly explosive one! You may be confusing them with A Max which are designated as a target bullet?
    However, A Max would be legal in England as they have a hollow point!
    MS

I take it Varmint bullets are generally hunting bullets however for smaller animals. Slightly faster expansion because one has less body to penetrate. From say crow right up to coyote/wolf which covers Roe deer weight. As far as I know American deer are much heavier and larger than Roe and advised to use big game bullets.
    Several companies in Europe are now developing and selling fragmenting hunting bullets. They mostly fragment in a predictable manner. I didn't quite understand what was not legal in Scotland, the term varmint bullet or was it fragmenting bullet for deer?
    edi

.223 and .222 are not deer legal in every US state, unless some laws have changed.
    There are several species and subspecies, varying in size from 50 lb Key deer in Florida, to 300 and nearly 400-lb Whitetail and Mule deer in northern states with lots of grain and soybean farms.

Some bullets made for 150-lb deer include the Barnes and the 64-gr Winchester.