Thread: Overcoming Reflected light from moisture

Overcoming Reflected light from moisture

When there's moisture in the air I struggle to get a clear view of distant targets (rabbits & foxes). The closer the lamp is to the sightline of the scope, the worse it gets.
    No great surprise here frankly; the longer the path of illuminated air you're looking through the worse it'll be. I'm seeking opinion on how to best overcome this with pros & cons.

I'm leaning towards using the tightest possible aspheric LED torch, mounted on the roof on the other side of the 4x4, so the pencil-like beam & the sightline first converge at a point as far away as possible. I expect this to be at the expense of me not seeing fox eye reflections in some instances though. It also means a second lamp is needed for scanning.

Keen to get an understanding of how others overcome/mitigate this.

I have used a light force 170 close to 5 years, which clips to the scope. My answer was to raise the lamp from the standard 3"s to around 6" as it simply would not work.

As a result the extra length made a good handle to sweep the field, however not so battery friendly!
    The best improvement has been a cheap T20 copy, it is low powered but picks up the eye shine very well.
    I use it to spot and then make a plan, it saves the main battery. Yes a lot of people use a TAC light but with my LF I can use the filter or the white light. In the harvest all the machinery has their spot lights on, so I tend to use the white light. but with it adjusted up a bit ( or if the lamp man is around he will just use the edge of the light)

If you mean by moisture ( mist) then we all struggle! I got a mate to keep moving the lamp up until I could get a clear view at a white feed bucket at 200 yards I noted the height and altered the bracket.

Quite often the lamp man is a yard or two off and they will be saying " it is right ####ing there" lol
    Being left handed I have my lamp man on my right so to cut down any spill in the eye which is open.

Just keep plugging away and it will just fall in place...

Tim.243
    Stalking is very much like going to the night club

You can always tell an Essex Boy, just you cant tell him much...

An hour in the field is worth a week of typing trash.....

Up here that is known as "blawback" sometimes only cured by a night in the pub.

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOT View Post
    Up here that is known as "blawback" sometimes only cured by a night in the pub.
    Down here it's know as normal...

solve the problem by avoiding mist

T20 and T57 are both bad in misty conditions

also buggers up the IR on the NV spotter

Quote Originally Posted by Tim.243 View Post
    I have used a light force 170 close to 5 years, which clips to the scope. My answer was to raise the lamp from the standard 3"s to around 6" as it simply would not work.

As a result the extra length made a good handle to sweep the field, however not so battery friendly!
    The best improvement has been a cheap T20 copy, it is low powered but picks up the eye shine very well.
    I use it to spot and then make a plan, it saves the main battery. Yes a lot of people use a TAC light but with my LF I can use the filter or the white light. In the harvest all the machinery has their spot lights on, so I tend to use the white light. but with it adjusted up a bit ( or if the lamp man is around he will just use the edge of the light)

If you mean by moisture ( mist) then we all struggle! I got a mate to keep moving the lamp up until I could get a clear view at a white feed bucket at 200 yards I noted the height and altered the bracket.

Quite often the lamp man is a yard or two off and they will be saying " it is right ####ing there" lol
    Being left handed I have my lamp man on my right so to cut down any spill in the eye which is open.

Just keep plugging away and it will just fall in place...

Tim.243
    Thanks Tim. If you were going to fix on a vehicle, what would you choose as the optimum separation distance?
    I've shot several hundred foxes, but mostly solo, so rarely get to establish how far away you can go before losing eye shine. I've not even bothered googling " Fox eye reflection beam divergence"!

Quote Originally Posted by simonl View Post
    Thanks Tim. If you were going to fix on a vehicle, what would you choose as the optimum separation distance?
    I've shot several hundred foxes, but mostly solo, so rarely get to establish how far away you can go before losing eye shine. I've not even bothered googling " Fox eye reflection beam divergence"!
    My tally is close to yours and I can honestly say I've shot 3 out of the window! Cant stand having the rifle chunking around in the wagon with all the other stuff of safety and keeping from bashing the scope.
    From what I have seen with roof mounted lamps it is in the middle of the cab for the practical reason of people either side in the wagon.
    I have shot a good few off a mates roof mounted platform out the sunroof using the bi-pod and his son using the lamp. He would not keep him self and the lamp still as he got older and I missed 2 easy foxes one night, so know when there is one that won't come in or we cant get to it with the wagon then I take the kit and we go after it that way...It worked out better for me but not so good for the foxes...

As you asked for a distance I would say no more than 30 inches....

Tim.243
    Stalking is very much like going to the night club

You can always tell an Essex Boy, just you cant tell him much...

An hour in the field is worth a week of typing trash.....

Thanks for that.
    I'm looking to rig something up on a pan/tilt mechamism, controlled remotely. Goal is to eventually augment this mechansim with IR/NV/Thermal, controlled & viewed from in the cab.

I have always though LED light seems more affected by any moisture/dust in the air even so the smaller handier LED unit often fits in a pocket compared to a rucksack