Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moderators in EFP?

Moderators in EFP?

Quick question for those of you with moderated rifles holding a European Firearms Pass. Is your moderator entered in the pass? If not, why not? And have you taken your rifle and moderator to Europe without it being entered in the pass?

The reason I ask is that the police over here are refusing to enter moderators in the pass (which is causing a few difficulties and a lot of confusion), and I was wondering if this policy was something that they decided by themselves (which wouldn't surprise me in the least), or if it was the same all over Europe?

Cheers
    T_T

They may be doing that, because moderators are illegal in the majority of the other European countries !

And also because it would highlight the strange situation where these unmarked metal tubes are classified as firearms in the UK!

BTW not on my EFP.

Just looked and they are on my EFP - all three of them!

Police Authority - North Yorkshire
    TonyC

They aren't on my EFP either and I haven't had any problems entering Sweden or returning to the UK. To be honest, the customs officials just assume that it's just part of the rifle in the case. A friend (also with West Mercia Police) just did the round trip to Germany as well and he had no issues.

They require a separate licence here, so it's not because they don't have them registered in their system.

It shouldn't really matter if they're illegal in other European countries. For example I can have pistols, or semi auto rifles entered in my EFP, but that doesn't mean that I can take them to countries where they're forbidden.

TonyC, interesting to see that they can actually be entered in the pass.

rabbitter, glad you've been able to take them abroad with any problems.

Any ideas on how it'd go, if I wanted to bring my rifle & moderator to the UK without the moderator being in the pass?

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan_Terrier View Post

Any ideas on how it'd go, if I wanted to bring my rifle & moderator to the UK without the moderator being in the pass?
    TT. I have no idea about that, but if it helps you I am happy to enquire with my local FLD if it helps you. My suspicion is that we could ask the BASC and two different Firearms Licensing Depts and get 5 different answers.

regards

Ian

Your EFP wouldn't really be relevant if visiting the U.K. as you would have to obtain a visitors permit anyway as the EFP isn't really accepted here.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by rabbitter View Post
    TT. I have no idea about that, but if it helps you I am happy to enquire with my local FLD if it helps you. My suspicion is that we could ask the BASC and two different Firearms Licensing Depts and get 5 different answers.
    Make it six - you forgot the tealady who picks up the phone after hours!

TT I doubt it would cause you any issues as it could be entered on a visitor's permit to cover you within the UK. And provided you have your Dansk certification with you, travelling through any border control should also be simplified - if the Danish Authorities don't consider that moderators need be on an EFP then who would be a position to challenge them?

As rabbiter suggests, it's unlikely to be thought of as anything other than a part of the firearm anyway, and in the worst case you could always say it was a drinks flask!

When Scrumbag was living in Switzerland he found he needed both the EFP and the visitors permit.

David.