Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Slaughtering pig for home consumption

Slaughtering pig for home consumption

If there is anybody in Gloucestershire (Winchcombe area) who has his FAC conditioned so that he can legally put down a few Gloucester Old Spot pigs raised at a private residence - all meant for own home consumption- than please contact me by PM so I can forward your message to a friend. Maybe for a fee, or maybe for a share of the pork - open to any reasonable offer.
    • Do not be seduced by the marketing-men....

I think that to kill a pig for your own consumption you have to be the owner of said pig.
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/slaughte...me-consumption

ian.

No need for FAC and conditions , a 12 gauge at point blank will do the job nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard View Post
    I think that to kill a pig for your own consumption you have to be the owner of said pig.

ian.
    Spot on whitebeard. And if it's a sow your ment to get a trincenela testing kit to send a sample away

Quote Originally Posted by Shootgun View Post
    No need for FAC and conditions , a 12 gauge at point blank will do the job nicely.
    '' Hambuger '' should stun first , so find a hammer , and start running
    Last edited by 49ERIC; 10-11-2015 at 19:26.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard View Post

ian.

This is correct.
    Having said that, the rules do get bent pretty regularly!
    No need for conditioned FAC - just use a shotgun. I do all mine using a .410
    The easiest rule bend, if he doesn't have a shotgun, is for someone else to bring one round to your friend's place and for him to shoot the pigs under the gun owners supervision
    He also cannot offer a share of the pork to the helper - that constitutes "supply to a third person" which is illegal.
    The only people who can (legally) eat any of it are the owner and his immediate family who are normally resident in his house.
    Last edited by VSS; 10-11-2015 at 20:30.

use the shotgun far safer and less chance of things going wrong

If you look on Findlaw uk it tells you that it can be killed in the field by a free bullet without holding a slaughtermans licence and if shot in a pen must be stunned first

Quote Originally Posted by TH4 View Post
    If you look on Findlaw uk it tells you that it can be killed in the field by a free bullet without holding a slaughtermans licence and if shot in a pen must be stunned first
    If you use a shotgun then you don't need to worry about the stunning first, as it stuns and kills in one operation.
    The Humane Slaughter Association has some useful guidelines on this.

There are rules governing the use of firearms in confined spaces, so really you should have the pen outdoors.

Use a captive bolt gun..thats the safest way!