suzuki grand vitara

bobby18

Debating on buying a diesel grand vitara for a run around and to use around fields when out foxing anybody got an opinion on them.

I have a long wheel base 20ltr td.

I was thinking of selling it until it sailed through its MOT.

great wee trucks and not to bad on fuel. I'm getting 40 mpg on a run and with a old set of at tyres its going all over the place with no issues.

I have been using vits for the past 10 years and find them great wee trucks.

I hope you find one.

bob.

Got one now and would have another in a heart beat.
Brilliant little motors.
Maybe the only drawback? Could do with a bit more ground clearance.

Got one now and would have another in a heart beat.
Brilliant little motors.
Maybe the only drawback? Could do with a bit more ground clearance.

got to be said Baz :)

2" lift kit works wonders, did it on my old one but not this one, running 235/70/16s seems to work ok and not got stuck yet !

hope you are well.

bob.

Fantastic vehicles
Regret selling mine
If I were you I would get a petrol as there are almost silent when running.
For my sins I've got a Land Rover which is ***** so I've left it outside to rot!

I got a grand vitara diesel they are great on fuel and off road and cheap enough you don't mind knocking them about I'd buy another 1 no probs

got to be said Baz :)

2" lift kit works wonders, did it on my old one but not this one, running 235/70/16s seems to work ok and not got stuck yet !

hope you are well.

bob.
Very well thanks bob.
I never realised there was a lift kit.

Last edited:
Don,t know much about engines,just say i ought to get stuck would the diesel with the bigger engine get me out of a rut rather than the smaller petrol version.

Don,t know much about engines,just say i ought to get stuck would the diesel with the bigger engine get me out of a rut rather than the smaller petrol version.

If you have good tyres and the right driver you will get even the 1.6 petrol engine out of the dirt, with the TDI engine you have a shoot more torque but the engine is a tad bigger in the weight department,but still very capable of going places that you think are a bit to much for a vitara......no way they will go many places with little or no problems,

I have the 20 lt turbo diesel 5 door and it's great for what I need, but now my boss is planning to get me a newer one I'll be selling mine soon, that will keep the wife happy as I was promised a company vehicle some 3 years ago but it's taken a wee while to get here I'm still happy....no bills :)

Bob.

Pondered this for a while then did a deal on one today. 2005 td to replace my ageing forester.

Vits are good trucks, you don't have to spend a fortune on parts to make them great. Grippy tires is all you need

bob I would be after a 2lt d please pm me if your thinking of selling yours

D

will do :) when I find the replacement its for sale with both sets of 10 tyres, 5 x AT's for shooting/winter and 5 x 50/50 dirt and road tyres for not so muddy times. spot lights and front automatic free wheeling hubs on the front.
over £800 spent on injectors and a turbo service ( goes so much faster now :) and better FE:
£345 for the cam belt and water pump both done at the same time.
and at this time I think just over 10 months mot's

2 advisories on the last mot.

1, front anti roll bar bushes will need changing £17 from bits for vits not done yet as its a tad wet on the floor
2, rear brake pipe needs cleaning and painting/protection from rust. as above.

bob.

Any views on the 7 seater version?

you don't see much about them other than for sale adds.

down here the 4x4 club don't rate them as a off roader ?

the only person I new who had one was a friends friend in Riddrie Glasgow who loved it as a family car but got the older grand vitara for shooting.

bob.

don't get the newer ones had the 2lor was it 2.4 desel spent most of its life at the side of the road catalytic converters are a real problem which the company no about they run on French engines :eek: now have the petrol no problems jap engine :D but a 6 gear would benefit it sounds like you are reving the nuts of it in fifth had 340miles to a full tank not to bad for a 4x4 but stay clear off the desel you have bean warned realy bad car just read about the problems on the web before you purchase one

Back