Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bullet Recommendation

Bullet Recommendation

Hi, can someone recommend me a bullet for reloading my .243 for reds (Not my choice but all that I could get passed for!).
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!
    Another 7mm08 shooter!

100GR Nosler partitions.
    handloaded or many factory supply these heads now.

Thanks, just looking at them now and Sierra Gamekings

Its for a Tikka M595 if that makes a difference
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!
    Another 7mm08 shooter!

100grn Soft points or heavier if you can find. Nosler are my choice, followed by Hornaday. IMHO a .243 isnt enough gun for reds, but thats what the fuzz seem to like (deer welfare being their main priority ). My advice would be load the heaviest heads you/your rifle can cope with and get them going as fast as you can. Then get your bullet placement perfect.

Sam
    "Even at the very bottom of the river, I didn't think to myself, Is this a hearty joke or the merest accident? I just thought, it's wet." - Eeyore

try and get some geco 105grain tmantel,my sako 75 shoots them well and there reasonable priced and hit hard

The Geco's seem a cracking round. Unfortunatly they never shot well in my gun :/

Sam
    "Even at the very bottom of the river, I didn't think to myself, Is this a hearty joke or the merest accident? I just thought, it's wet." - Eeyore

The reason that the Police like the .243 is that's it's the accepted minimum and they like the word MINIMUM same goes for 6mm after it's the same size bullet howver if we look at it logically and as in the English language both 6mm and 243 are actually illegal as 6mm is 0.236" and not the minimum of 0.240" stated in the law. The law says calibre and calibre is the size of bore not the size of bullet and the bore size is 0.236" it's the groove size that's 0.243".

Now if we tried to squeek somethnig like this in our favor past the Plods they would be jumping up and down on us but as they really haven't got a clue what they're doing in Firearms law they happily force us to actaully break the law but that's OK as they don't understand it and insist on it .

As to which bullet well your going to have a shoot a few and see which your rifle likes. Sadly the .243 seems to be finiky as to what it likes as for the partitions well my 6mm will not shoot them at all well not even the 95 grain ones yet shoots the Honady 100 grain reasonable well. It likes the 87 grain Hornadys the best. we will see what the .243 likes once we get another one.

If shooting Reds in Scotland you need to use 100gn bullets to be legal. At the risk of splitting hairs, by law of average 50% of any box of 100gn bullets will actualy be illegal - they will be 99.99999 gns!!!

Hmmm actually unless I am really out of date in Scotland to shoot anything other than Roe Deer the minimum bullet weights needs to be 100 grains .

Brithunter - you are correct. Now what happens when Muntjac and CWD get up here - will we use 100.00000001 gn bullets.

Pre- requisite for any deer stalker is to be a lawyer fully conversant with the intracacies of both the written law plus common and roman law interpretation!