Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Loch Lomond a year in the wild

Loch Lomond a year in the wild

Just starting on channel 5, piece on deer could be of interest to some.

A very nice programme too, stunning scenery.
    “Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.”
    –Fred Bear -

50 eagles shot by farmers and gamekeepers - where do they get that ?

Possibly an estimate but they dont mention the grallochs seeing them through the winter? Any programme that gives wildlife "names" is edited by townies.

I'm stalking this week up near there. One place we go we leave a carcass or grallochs for the eagles.

Quote Originally Posted by kes View Post
    50 eagles shot by farmers and gamekeepers - where do they get that ?
    Yes they had to put that in didn't they!!! Shot or poisoned?????

will watch again next week though,

kjf

Thanks for the reminder - saved me trolling the SD for a while, and I learned a bit!

50 eagles? 200,000 red deer in the National Park, Mountain hares rare? a few mink left in the National Park really ?
    Bluebells in England yes in Scotland they are wild Hyacinth, Scottish Bluebells are what the English call Harebells
    Glenample river its a burn!

Where do they get these people, pity really as the photography is superb and it had the potential to be an informative programme, spoiled by half truths and inaccuracies.

And the Red Kites were filmed on Argaty estate which i think is outside the LLTNP and is a tourist trap profiting from artificial feeding.

Stunning. But it's clear that a lot of the "facts" and knowledge of the area is from those not involved in it day to day and with the "library" shots of the red kites taken elsewhere, from the contributors above.

But this is normal British television fare. Figures given by partisan organisations are taken for granted, especially where it makes good telly and they can't spend too much time on research or employing knowledgeable people. So, as I often say, when you watch the telly and other subjects are on, be it politics, the NHS, police, or anything you might know little or nothing about, be sure to use the same big dollop of cynicism because it will also be full of half truths and language that makes "good telly".