Thread: night shooting caliber

night shooting caliber

Hi, just wondering is the legal minimum calibre for night shooting of roe deer a .270, Is this across the board or is this just on FC ground?
    Regards Neil

SNH recommended minimum for night shooting license.

Quote Originally Posted by bogtrotter View Post
    SNH recommended minimum for night shooting license.
    Hi Mate, been there and the only thing I could see was req for scope to be not less than 4x36 magnification.
    Regards Neil

There is no legal minimum calibre for shooting any deer in Scotland!
    I believe that .270 was a 'best practice' guideline rather than a law which was adopted by the FC and used for the night shooting code of practice.
    MS

I have the recommendations here in front of me but they may be a little out of date, only one firearm to be used at a time, three people driver. light operator and marksman,shooting from a moving vehicle is not permissible but the vehicle body or roof hatch can provide a suitable platform for the marksman to get an accurate shot.

Where a vehicle is not used an independent spotlight operator is essential.

A trained dog must be available.

A heavier than normal bullet is required for Red, Sika Fallow and red Sika crosses a rifle capable of firing 130 to 150 grain soft nosed bullets with a muzzle velocity of not less than 2450 feet per second and a muzzle energy of not less than 2250 foot pounds, if there is any doubt about the formula prescribed the Red Deer Commission should be consulted.

Roe Deer A rifle capable of firing ammunition of not less than 100 grain soft nosed bullets with a muzzle velocity of no less than 2450 feet per second and a muzzle energy of not less than 1750 foot pounds, this combination of rifle
    and bullet is similar to or greater than .243 and is the same as that laid down by the Firearms order for shooting red, fallow and sika deer in daylight.

the Red Deer Commission no longer exists it evolved into the Deer Commission for Scotland which was amalgamated with SNH

The information I have provided was for those applying for night licenses in the 1980s and as such it would be a good idea to contact them for any up to date amendments.

while the above was a not enforceable in law compliance was required to be granted a night license

Thanks everyone for your advice, much appreciated guys.
    Regards Neil

The law changed a few years ago. You can now use the deer legal rifles that you use to shoot in daylight at night. Makes sense to me

Quote Originally Posted by rem284 View Post
    The law changed a few years ago. You can now use the deer legal rifles that you use to shoot in daylight at night. Makes sense to me
    Morning Rem284, thanks for that, it does make sense mate.
    ATB Neil