Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: High blood pressure

High blood pressure

I work around a residential setting with on site nurses. Today I opted to having my blood pressure taken. Not planning to just random. I recorded 165 over 111 heart rate of 90. I was told that it is very high and a little alarming. I contacted my doctors for advise as advised. 10 days to the next appointment. When I asked could I speak to a doctor the 16th at 5pm. Yeh crap service.

Any doctors, nurses on here knowing is it anything to be alarmed about being 165 over 111.

Ive never had high blood pressure before.
    Last edited by weeman; 11-11-2015 at 19:37.

I'm not a doc but a lot of things can affect your blood pressure before the test. Stressed, rushed, bit of a cold coming on . Get it done again. Bit like zeroing....the first shot could be pulled. A lot of surgeries have a self test monitor in the waiting room. Find one and have a few goes. If it's still higher than you think it should be then make sure you see the quack.
    dont worry...could cause your blood pressure to rise!!

if it is high then a few tabs will help out, or losing weight, and a regular diet of red wine and exercise.
    Last edited by biffo; 11-11-2015 at 19:56.

Quote Originally Posted by biffo View Post
    I'm not a doc but a lot of things can affect your blood pressure before the test. Stressed, rushed, bit of a cold coming on . Get it done again. Bit like zeroing....the first shot could be pulled. A lot of surgeries have a self test monitor in the waiting room. Find one and have a few goes. If it's still higher than you think it should be then make sure you see the quack.
    dont worry...could cause your blood pressure to rise!!

Cheers for taking the time to reply. I used two different electronic machines to make sure it was correct both giving 99% the same readings. I have had to deal with a lot lately, work and family related. Health wise I feel fit as a fiddle apart from this. I do get stressed and when I do I split wood for anger management.

Probably worth avoiding salty foods and thinking too much about which women to go stalking with

The bloody wet Cumbria weather as known isn't helping. Mrs reckons I need a stalk as I haven't been in six weeks just everyone is busy. I spontainisly requested it today.

I also have high blood pressure , was diagnosed 12 ish years ago but the doctor just wanted to monitor it .

Recently I decided to get it sorted , mine was usually 150 / 100 with a heart rate of 55 ish .

I think it was a really good decision as the results of my heart scan showed thickening of the muscle .

The doc says he needs to get it below 135 / 85 to reduce the chance of stroke etc. I am 35.

The cause of my high blood pressure seems to be hereditary.

Friend of mine just had a heart attack last week , said he felt fine , just felt like indigestion but his wife got him to get looked at , yup heart attack , arteries 90% blocked , two stents put in ...

Got me thinking I know high blood pressure an indicator so I can get that checked at docs , can even buy a machine for home from pharmacy nowadays but how can you get arteries checked ? Chloestorol etc?
    What are the guidelines / expected figured for blood pressure for your age

I'd call NHS direct you might get a better response than your own doc, when the wife was bad we got sent to the hospital for out of hours

Quote Originally Posted by sauer View Post
    Friend of mine just had a heart attack last week , said he felt fine , just felt like indigestion but his wife got him to get looked at , yup heart attack , arteries 90% blocked , two stents put in ...

Got me thinking I know high blood pressure an indicator so I can get that checked at docs , can even buy a machine for home from pharmacy nowadays but how can you get arteries checked ? Chloestorol etc?
    What are the guidelines / expected figured for blood pressure for your age

Im 35 years old. After a quick ggoogle search 120 over 80. I have been using my ashma inhaler a little more lately too. My mums side of the family isn't good but my dads side is excellent. I don't smoke and don't drink no where as much as I used to. I do firmly beleive it's work related and recently this monday I buried my stepmother and deeply concerned for my dad.
    Bloody shocking support from the doctors.

Worry of Work / money = stress

regular exercise is good for you depending on your weight maybe loosing a few pounds , walk the dog more