Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Too exit or not too exit?

Too exit or not too exit?

Hi there folks,

Last night I was talking to my old man about which bullet to use in my new rifle, I've just bought a Sauer 202 in 7mm Rem Mag and I'll be shooting wild boar and red deer with it.

So I've been looking at using the Norma Swift Scirocco 150 grains, in comparison with other bullets they seem turbo charged and Norma state that it is designed for heavier game. However, the expansion rate of this bullet is rapid and I'm concerned that on an adult boar in its winter coat that I may not get an exit shot. My old man said that this just means that the bullets given up all of its energy and it will result in an immediate kill. However, hypothetically speaking if I get a runner, surely an exit wound is going to produce the blood trail I'll need in order to find it and therefore should use something that retains a larger percentage of its original weight?

My question to you guys is, is it better for the bullet to exit or not to exit?

Alex

Am surprised to see this old question still being asked. Kinetic energy does not blow things off it's feet in real life the same way as Animals and beasts do not all react the same to the shot. Over the years that I was shooting deer I had to find a few deer that ran at the shot. Not far but it was often into cover and the blood trail was invaluble in locating the carcase. Can only remember losing one and that was a Muntjac that made it into heavy cover and despite searching for a long time as far in as it was possible to squeeze into the cover the carcase was not found. Despite there being a hair and blood at the shot site the blood trail was very sparse. The ground being very wet did not help I suspect. So I always like a nice exit wound.

on any game you want an exit, on boar the fat closes the hole rapid and will run a long distance that's why most people on the continent use a large cal to create a big hole.
    on boar tracking can be anywhere from 1 kilometre upwards. usually on boar you don't get as good a shot site indication use the correct bullet a strong bonded bullet for what its intended for, atb wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Makes little or no difference to death rate in my opinion.
    The blood loss of relevance is from within the circulatory system not the body
    drop the blood pressure with blood filling the chest cavity and anything that breathes will die.
    if you are worried about quick death watch any of the boar fever videos and get shot placement right

it may contribute to a better blood trail but if you drop them where they stand you won't need one!

Some of the most rapid deaths I have had on large stags had no exit but the blood loss through the nose and mouth was incredible
    Last edited by bewsher500; 12-11-2015 at 08:45.

Shoot it in the head!!

Tim.243
    Stalking is very much like going to the night club

You can always tell an Essex Boy, just you cant tell him much...

An hour in the field is worth a week of typing trash.....

here's a picture of a boar anatomy you can see the heart is a lot lower down the neck curves downwards many shots going for the head hit the area where there is only meat or platen resulting in a very long track indeed, shooting a running target and trying to hit a tiny brain is very hard and not skill just pure luck, atb wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

**** happens and I like a bullet that I know will penetrate well and on normal shots - ie just behind the shoulder will pass clean through and exit. Indeed I want a bullet that will go clean through both shoulders and exit.

I havent shot boar, but large ones are big and tough and with plenty of fat under the skin. I would choose a large heavy for for calibre bullet with a tough construction and drive fast enough so you get impact velocity of 2,600 fps or less at the desired shooting range. That way you get good expansion, but not too much.

Sooner or later your shot will be less than perfect and you want your bullet to still punch through the vitals and then let out lots of blood so you can find it.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexN View Post
    Hi there folks,

Last night I was talking to my old man about which bullet to use in my new rifle, I've just bought a Sauer 202 in 7mm Rem Mag and I'll be shooting wild boar and red deer with it.

So I've been looking at using the Norma Swift Scirocco 150 grains, in comparison with other bullets they seem turbo charged and Norma state that it is designed for heavier game. However, the expansion rate of this bullet is rapid and I'm concerned that on an adult boar in its winter coat that I may not get an exit shot. My old man said that this just means that the bullets given up all of its energy and it will result in an immediate kill. However, hypothetically speaking if I get a runner, surely an exit wound is going to produce the blood trail I'll need in order to find it and therefore should use something that retains a larger percentage of its original weight?

My question to you guys is, is it better for the bullet to exit or not to exit?

Alex
    The whole dumping of energy to cause so called 'hydrostatic shock' whilst being proven, is not the thing most stalkers think it is, it is a brief, huge & rapid rise in pressure in the blood vessels supplying the brain and CNS, the effects of which have been shown, under certain circumstances to disrupt brain function and bring about rapid unconsciousness and/or death... Major organs stand up very well to the shock wave and cavitation caused by the passage of a bullet due to the amount of water contained therin and, unless directly contacted by the projectile, or fragments of it, tend to settle back down after the temporary wound cavity has calmed down... the permanent wound channel is basically the physical damage done to the tissue that came into contact with the expanded bullet. This has all been proved and documented over decades of study by the US military.

You are trying to cause massive blood loss and a catastrophic drop in blood pressure (that's the bit that causes rapid unconsciousness.) So... on that basis, two holes are FAR better than one... Yes, you want pass through, particularly when you think the exit hole is usually larger than the entrance hole... more bleeding... more blood... faster unconsciousness and death... better blood trail.

The desired result is no different to that achieved with a bow and sharp broad head... the difference being, you are trying to create the wound channel through blunt force trauma rather than cutting... bit like trying to slice a tomato with a hammer!
    Last edited by Vipa; 12-11-2015 at 09:00.

Alex,

When you say that the Norma Swift Scirocco is 'designed for heavier game' you aren't confusing it with the Norma Swift A-frame are you?

If you are sold on Norma in 7mm Rem Mag I would have thought that their Oryx in 156 or 170gr, or the Vulkan in 170gr would be better for a through and through pass at the ranges likely for boar and reds, (especially driven).

http://www.norma.cc/en/Products/Comp...wift-Scirocco/

Many,MANY theories and preferences so I will post some good reading and you can come to your own conclusions:

Debunking Ballastic Myths

http://www.rathcoombe.net/sci-tech/b.../wounding.html

Both very interesting articles which should keep you busy for a little while
    Any Questions Feel Free to PM me