Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cabela's no more.....

Cabela's no more.....

Cabela's has been targeted for a buy out by Bass Pro Shops and reputedly be closing all it's retail outlets Jan 1st. I will welcome Bass Pro Shop when/if they occupy the location currently held by our local Cabelas. In my limited experience with Bass Pro Shop, they seem to be a more sales and service oriented operation with better prices. Cabelas, on the other hand, has a reputation for largely ignorant staffers who make up for the lack by being abundantly rude while trying to sell you overpriced junk. Don't let the door hit you in the a$$ on the way out, Cabelas. My fingers are crossed....~Muir

SD Regular
    Muir! You do seem to say exactly what others say about Cabela's gun departments! Almost to the very word! Were they really that bad?

SD Regular
    On the banks of the Columbia River, Portland OR. USA
    Well, my Cabela's in Tigard has been pretty good to me. I have heard the complaints though. I have been buying stuff from them since the mid 70s. I began buying from them before they were Cabela's. The ran an ad in sporting magazines "5 MY T FINE Trout Flies for $1.00 plus shipping". I had my mother send them a check, the flies were junk made in Hong Kong or some place like that, but they did catch trout. Then they started the catalog business and had good prices and quality stuff for many years, then the prices became not so good. I like Bass Pro shops, perhaps some good sales to come???

Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares View Post
    Muir! You do seem to say exactly what others say about Cabela's gun departments! Almost to the very word! Were they really that bad?
    Yes.
    I once walked into our local Cabelas in the city after a hot and miserably long day. I was tired and was getting ready to drive the 60 miles home when i realized i was within a block of Cabelas and I still needed 204 Ruger brass. I walked up to the head gun guy and asked if they happened to have any 204 brass. The fat slob put a finger in my face and laughed out loud "hell! NOBODY has 204 brass!! What were you thinking??!??" Followed by another roll of laughter and oscillations of belly fat. I told him that if he didn't take that finger out of my face I was going to tear his arm off and beat him with the wet end. Then I tore into him and his toady assistant. I'd listened to him 'advise' customers on different occasions and I was certain that everything he knew about shooting had come straight from the pages of the previous month's "Guns and Ammo" magazine... and i told him so. I called him a pompous, arrogant idiot and reminded him that the empty parking lot out front was largely due to attitudes like his.

The rest of the staff wasn't much better. It's one of the few businesses I have been in where the staff sees you coming and walks the other way to avoid dealing with you. I once commented on this site that Cabelas was a computerized,polished aluminum, Plexiglas and stainless steel corporation covered by a thin woodsy veneer. It's true -and they lost the ability to hide that. That's why their stocks fell 37% over the last year. People aren't stupid.~Muir

I haven't had much experience so I guess it depends which store. The cabelas in Utah was a lot more polite and friendlier with a bigger range of hunting goods compared to Bass Pro in Las Vegas. Cabelas is limiting which treestands they send internationally whereas Bass Pro has a blanket ban.
    Blaser K95 Stutzen - the ultimate deer stalking rifle

In St. Louis I prefer bass pro, staff are more helpful, but both great shops to spend a couple of hours.

Will the staff change though, or will they all be re-employed by Bass Pro?

Going the same way of Herters USA and Kettner in Germany.
    Snotty sale folk.
    But most Bass Pro products are also made in the communist republic of somewhere like every other big company in the world now.
    Martin

700 Nitro in Cabelas
    Blaser K95 Stutzen - the ultimate deer stalking rifle

Quote Originally Posted by mchughcb View Post
    I haven't had much experience so I guess it depends which store. The cabelas in Utah was a lot more polite and friendlier with a bigger range of hunting goods compared to Bass Pro in Las Vegas. Cabelas is limiting which treestands they send internationally whereas Bass Pro has a blanket ban.
    Is the bass pro in Vegas not too good then? I've got a trip there at the end of the month and was looking for bringing back some goodies.