Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 125 Grain Nosler Ballistic Tips .308

125 Grain Nosler Ballistic Tips .308

I have only recently starting reloading and my first foray was with .243.
    I am getting reasonably good results with 95grn Nosler ballistic tips on 35.4 grains of IMR4895.

I now want to start reloading for my .308, which is a Sako 85.
    I am keen to improve my accuracy with the .308 and therefore was looking to reduce recoil so bought some 125 grain Nosler Ballistic tips to start with and wondered if anybody out there has any experience of these bullets in .308, what powder they have used and what loads.

I have also picked up some Speer 150grain boat tail soft points but was only going to give these a go after the 125 Noslers. So if anybody uses these Speers regularly it would be good to hear about what works for you.

I currently have Varget and IMR4895.

Just about all Roe in my area although I am also hoping to do some bought days where there may be some Fallow.

Any help appreciated.

ATB
    Les

Quote Originally Posted by bakerlads View Post
    I have only recently starting reloading and my first foray was with .243.
    I am getting reasonably good results with 95grn Nosler ballistic tips on 35.4 grains of IMR4895.

I now want to start reloading for my .308, which is a Sako 85.
    I am keen to improve my accuracy with the .308 and therefore was looking to reduce recoil so bought some 125 grain Nosler Ballistic tips to start with and wondered if anybody out there has any experience of these bullets in .308, what powder they have used and what loads.

I have also picked up some Speer 150grain boat tail soft points but was only going to give these a go after the 125 Noslers. So if anybody uses these Speers regularly it would be good to hear about what works for you.

I currently have Varget and IMR4895.

Just about all Roe in my area although I am also hoping to do some bought days where there may be some Fallow.

Any help appreciated.

ATB
    Les
    The 30 cal 125g BTs are more of a varmint bullet, they are not suitable for Deer because theres very little back end to them, I used them quite a bit in the past and they make a mess when driven fast. Powder of choice for 125s and 150s was Varget and Rel 15.

Hi Bakerlads
    I used 125's as a load for Roe with good results, I had my doubt's about using them on Fallow but after trying them I stuck with them for 10 years and shot a lot of Fallow with them.

They do cause more damage than a lead tip but they certainley dont run far which what I wanted due to the nature of my ground.

I cannot remember the load but I was using H4895 and getting 2995fps.

Atb Wayne

Next time you purchase bullets may I suggest you look at the 130 Grain Hornady .308's they seem to shoot very well and perform well on deer too! From your powder choice either would work with the 125's you will just have to experiment and find the recipe and COL it likes.

Les -

46 gns of N150 = 2900 ft per second from my 24" barrel Tikka. Sweet shooting, very accurate and very humane. They usually drop on the spot to a boileroom shot. Plenty left to eat.
    Last edited by KevinF; 07-05-2010 at 11:42.
    KevinF -

49gn h4895 = 3050 fps in waynes old R93. still dropping them
    48.5 n140 gives 2900 fps
    Last edited by Offroad Gary; 08-05-2010 at 20:23. Reason: velocity correction

125gr BTs 49gr Varget , A bit punchy tho!!

The Nosler 125grn BT is stupidly accurate, and driven at just under 3000 fps (49grn N140) shoots as flat as a clothes line out to 200m+.
    However, I stopped using them as they really were blowing chunks out of the roe on boiler room shots.
    Once I stopped using the Noslers I started with plain, ordinary 150grn Sierra Pro-Hunters. For roe and munties they're as good as anything else on the market, and probably the cheapest as well. I'm confident they'll be just as good on the larger species as well, but I can only shoot roe and munty on my ground. The reds are off limits
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

les.
    i reload 150g speer sp bt with 45g of varget with cci primers in my sako this a very smooth round to shoot with very little meat damage give it a try you will like . let me know how you get on. steve.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies and I am still interested in hearing other peoples views.

However, I am going to have a session at the range next weekend so I am going to load up some of the Nosler 125grn with IMR4895, I am also going to get some N140 as I can also use this in the .243 with Hornady 87grn hollow points which I have been wanting to try.
    And I am going to try the Speer 150 grain soft points with Varget.

I will let you know how I get on next weekend.

Thanks for all your comments.

ATB
    Les