Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wildfowling on the marsh

Wildfowling on the marsh

Hi guys I have been invited to go fowling on some marshes. I have never done this type of fowling before. What clothing is best to take? I have waders but not sure of the type of jacket etc

Quote Originally Posted by danban View Post
    Hi guys I have been invited to go fowling on some marshes. I have never done this type of fowling before. What clothing is best to take? I have waders but not sure of the type of jacket etc
    A long stout stick, face veil, long peak cap, also it is quite mild so you will cook on the walk out.
    You need to swing so no good taking a coat with you trussed up like a xmas turkey....

As it is very mild of late I take just have a couple of thin layers with my smock and have a thicker top wrapped up in plastic bag in my decoy bag.

Take it all in an enjoy, don't let the mud put you off as it is only mud....

Tim.243
    Stalking is very much like going to the night club

You can always tell an Essex Boy, just you cant tell him much...

An hour in the field is worth a week of typing trash.....

If your waders are thigh waders then take with you a netted bag with some straw in it for sitting on. Saves your car seats from sticky mud.

+1 good stick and a bag to sit on I use an old small food tub, like the type the game keepers use make into feed bins , its screw lid takes care of you food , warm drink's cart's and that coat it keeps them dry and its a seat I also have a small bit of net to make a hide from with some short tent shock polls in the bin for support ,
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim.243 View Post
    A long stout stick, face veil, long peak cap, also it is quite mild so you will cook on the walk out.
    You need to swing so no good taking a coat with you trussed up like a xmas turkey....

As it is very mild of late I take just have a couple of thin layers with my smock and have a thicker top wrapped up in plastic bag in my decoy bag.

Take it all in an enjoy, don't let the mud put you off as it is only mud....

Tim.243

If you have chest waders then use them - keeps you warm and dry. Often you are having to sit or lie flat to be hidden. Camouflage jacket - but use your old one as it will get muddy. Shotgun - take a mix of standard game, and a few heavy loads for geese. Remember you will need non toxic shot - speak with your host.

In terms of under layers - very much depends on the weather, but do use wicking type thermals as you tend to get very hot and sweaty walking in - especially with waders on, but half an hour of lying in the mud and you start getting cold - this is accelerated if are sweaty.

Don't forget to have a good pee before putting on all your waders etc. But if the geese are nt moving, then have a pee - - - use you imagination.

And in the car have a water can, towel and change of clothes.

What hat and coat do you guys recommend? I don't want to spend the earth but want to be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by danban View Post
    What hat and coat do you guys recommend? I don't want to spend the earth but want to be ok.
    I have a rivers west smock, I think it was 80.00 (drab green) used it a few times, also go stalking in it...

Mine is 1 size too big so I can move around....

If you have a local army surplus store local then have a poke around, as some of the European army's kit is good.

Like I said in my first post you need to be able to move, don't get caught up in having a fancy patterned coat as quite often I just use layers and green army jumper with a long waist coat....

If it is raining then I wear my le chameau peak cap, other than that just a cheap 5.00 camo cap. I always have a snood...

Sitting still and keeping your face covered is the trick, I don't wear gloves.

There is not a lot of cover on the marsh so take that on board, I use 3 washing line poles as they a 3.00 each an a bit of net...

I can not stress enough how quick the tide can get behind you and cut you off...

Tim.243
    Last edited by Tim.243; 29-11-2015 at 08:38. Reason: missed a "d" out lol
    Stalking is very much like going to the night club

You can always tell an Essex Boy, just you cant tell him much...

An hour in the field is worth a week of typing trash.....

if your on a tight budget then what about a ex army gortex jacket, yes they can be sweaty as they dont breath but they wont let any water in and if you layer up under it then it will keep you warm, as for a hat just a flat cap, it will keep you warm and the peak will cover your face a little but take a face veil even if its just a scarfe to wrap around your face

Quote Originally Posted by sir-lamp-alot View Post
    if your on a tight budget then what about a ex army gortex jacket, yes they can be sweaty as they dont breath but they wont let any water in and if you layer up under it then it will keep you warm, as for a hat just a flat cap, it will keep you warm and the peak will cover your face a little but take a face veil even if its just a scarfe to wrap around your face

You are very welcome to buy my Cabelas Wildfowling jacket I have for sale on here. Perfect bit of kit in the right camo at very reasonable price.

Once you experience the wilds of the marsh, it is hard not to go back!

you are going to be sitting so your bottom needs to be kept dry
    and you need to keep warm big size coat so you can swing your gun.
    carry your top coat whilst you are walking out put it on when you get there.
    mittens you can shoot in to keep your hands warm
    warm woolly hat, face veil.
    big dustbin bag to put your muddy clothes in .