Deer poaching Surrey

I was out on an estate just outside Guildford foxing on Thursday night and saw 4 men with dogs park up start lamping for deer.
I phoned the keeper who came out and got the registration number of vehicle we positioned ourselves so we could keep tabs on where they were, he called the police and we were told a unit had been despatched.
The poachers returned to their vehicle 20 mins later and drove off empty handed the police turned up over 2 hours later!

Just thought i would let people know in that area

The keeper did say they may be carrying firearms but not for sure, the operator did keep asking if we could confirm they were armed, if we had done their response may have been different

The keeper did say they may be carrying firearms but not for sure, the operator did keep asking if we could confirm they were armed, if we had done their response may have been different

I would have thought that being told by the Keeper (Obviously a responsible and recognised member of the community) that "they may be carrying firearms" should have been sufficient to warrant a faster police attendance!

At least they left empty handed without any of the trouble or voilence that all too often goes hand in hand with this sort of thing!

Frenchieboy the transfer of info to the police was very accurate and quick but their reaction was very slow
The keeper understandably did'nt want a confrontation with this group and thought he had done enough for the police to react and possibly catch them in the act.
He was very impressed with the NV ability to track their movements covertly tho.

Frenchieboy the transfer of info to the police was very accurate and quick but their reaction was very slow
The keeper understandably did'nt want a confrontation with this group and thought he had done enough for the police to react and possibly catch them in the act.
He was very impressed with the NV ability to track their movements covertly tho.

:rofl:

I can fully understand the Keeper not wanting to have to confront them, there is always the possibility of it turning sour! However 2 hours for the police to arrive does seem a bit excessive!

Three fallow found dead this morning, left in the gateway, they had been coursed by dogs
south of Newbury, very near the A34,
the keeper was out help a neighbour that night because of continuing atacks on pheasants with airguns and catapults.
please be on your guard....

2 hours is a long while but if you were being burgled or beaten up would you want the police there or looking for poachers the police are seriously underfunded and over stretched at least they turned up

Poacher stalking is way more fun than hunting, especially with NV equipment. Thermal even better!

2 hours is a long while but if you were being burgled or beaten up would you want the police there or looking for poachers the police are seriously underfunded and over stretched at least they turned up
Personally I'd want the police to turn up to the poachers as chances are it might of been a illegal firearm, besides that is was probably the same lot that just burgled the bloody houses anyway.....

called the police and we were told a unit had been despatched. The poachers returned to their vehicle 20 mins later and drove off empty handed the police turned up over 2 hours later!

No that it helps, but whenever I have called Hampshire they have always had the first car (they normally send at least 2) turn up within 15-20 minutes.

If the police were there with you when you were being burgled then. 1. You wouldn't be being burgled. 2. You wouldn't be being beaten up.

If you were being beaten and burgled then the best you can expect is a forensic visit the next day, and in one city, not even that if your house was an odd number when only even numbers were being followed up.

Deer coursing is a crime, not a civil offence, armed trespass even more so. The police should tackle law breakers whether in town or country.

My point was they have to priorities jobs we may not like it but when poachers are after deer they are not endangering human life they may if challenged get violent but the op didn't state violence, and yes if the police were there you probably wouldn't get beaten and burgled but my point meant if that was happening and the copper on route to your house was redirected to try and look for poachers would you be happier or not.
I don't like poachers but they are in the wrong not the police

So how long will it take to respond to a Paris style incident if they are so underfunded.
Makes my blood boil cheapskate effing government.
Martin

The keeper could have said he was armed and concerned for the security of his gun. They might have 'left empty handed' but may have killed stuff and left it behind. The big money is made out of betting on performances, as with the pheasant poults just having their heads pulled off, with the bodies left behind.

State that you think they are carrying firearms and India 99 will over in minutes with an ARV shortly behind

That im afraid is one way to guarantee an ARV won't turn up. If it's poaching or possibly legitimate shooting the police (in Surrey and Sussex at least) will not send armed officers for fear of a shooting especially in the dark. Other forces may operate differently however.

Also since the police helicopter system was nationalised becoming NPAS (National Police Air Service) you'd be lucky to get a helicopter to turn out to anything. At work we all say it stands for Never Present Around Sussex.

what about blocking them in so their vehicle can't get away? and what about shooting their dogs? would that be within the law?

Back