barns ttsx bullet after being shot

berg

I I found this in the back legs off a fallow I shot from a high seat it went though the head then deep into the haunch ,I was just wondering if the bullet looks right as there seem to be a heavy build up of carbon or something like that .should I be taking something from this and changing my load ,any sensible thoughts would be appreciated .IMG_20151115_103202.jpgIMG_20151115_103213.jpgIMG_20151115_112158.jpgIMG_20151115_095231.jpg

Last edited:
Possible deer blood marking?, stuff makes a mess of rifle bluing if it gets splashed on your kit. try a photo with the tip lowered & the waist of the bullet in high light?

Don't think it is blood as I washed it ,it look like scorching of some sort it is a compressed load but I am not sure if that would have anything to do with it ?

Looks awesome! Pretty sure if I sat on a fire my backside would be a bit blackened too! Out of interest what calibre and weight was it before and after?

The pics aren't great but i think there is a blueish tone to it, due to heat from the barrel and the acidity of blood, it may be just oxidation. how long was it in the haunch?

Andy7mm

I I found this in the back legs off a fallow I shot from a high seat it went though the head then deep into the haunch ,I was just wondering if the bullet looks right as there seem to be a heavy build up of carbon or something like that .should I be taking something from this and changing my load ,any sensible thoughts would be appreciated .View attachment 63370View attachment 63371View attachment 63372View attachment 63373

This is entirely usual for copper monolithic solids.

650000 psi at the chamber, swaging the bullet into the lands and the heat of the powder burn all create heat which has caused the blackening on the grooves swaged into the bullet from the lands of the rifling.

Take from this that copper bullets (lathe turned slides) work when driven fast enough....

The ones I have recovered are blackened but not as much as yours. Blackened only on the rifling marks. Mine are factory 270 rounds. I wouldn't worry about it, it would bother me more the bullet ending up on the haunch

What lubricant do you use when resizing, and do you clean it off before loading the powder and bullet?

What powder and load are you using?

Alan

Last edited:
A blue tinge is normal as copper salts can be blue. Remember copper sulphate at school. Copper under heat and pressure will react with products if combustion.

I have only ever recovered 1 ttsx and its looks the same as mine did! And as ever , no problem with bullet penetration and deformation from the ttsx. What calibre was it from? Atb blue.

The ones I have recovered are blackened but not as much as yours. Blackened only on the rifling marks. Mine are factory 270 rounds. I wouldn't worry about it, it would bother me more the bullet ending up on the haunch

Is is that the 110gr Norma?

What the ranger said!

I have some 308w 130 TSX that I shot into water containers.
I will check and see what they look like. I know that in both 6.5x55 and 308w they were pretty much perfectly expanded.

Back