Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ITV's response to my complaint re Kieron Cunningham stalking deer.

ITV's response to my complaint re Kieron Cunningham stalking deer.

Dear all

After my complaint sent into ITV to complain about the coverage on Granada reports featuring Kieron Cunningham stalking deer, this is what I got back this morning.

Dear Jon,

Thank you for your email which has been forwarded for my attention.

The only delay in replying to your comments was caused because of the amount of work going in to covering the General Election.

I’m surprised you are amazed that the story was featured as it ran for a number of reasons.

• The PR firm behind the filming offered the story to us – to use as we wished.
    • There are many things which are legal – but are still controversial. From smoking to drugs; from fieldsports to fishing. It could be about alcohol, advertising or Page 3 girls. All legal but all controversial. As such it makes a perfectly legitimate story to feature and discuss on a responsible news programme.
    • Kieron Cunningham is a legend in St Helens. There is even a statue of him in the town. As such he is a role model to many and the stance he takes on an issue is therefore of a greater interest and subject to greater scrutiny.
    • We did NOT put a slant on it. We featured Kieron taking part in the sport – including him talking about how much he enjoys it – and then ran comments from those involved in organisations before ‘’pro’’ and ‘’anti’’ this sport.
    • In terms of vox pops we presented the views we found on the streets of St Helens – a place where Kieron Cunningham is revered as a sportsman. It could have been argued that we should have got a bias in favour of Kieron. So it was a surprise to find that the vast majority of people we spoke to objected to his involvement.

We got an excellent feedback on this issue from viewers both in support of, and outraged by, the footage of Kieron. That indicates to me that we partly served our purpose.

Thank you for taking the time to write to us. I apologise for the time it took me to reply.

Kind regards,

Richard Frediani
    Head of News, ITV Granada

Hmmm am I supposed to know who this legend :_

Kieron Cunningham

Is?

Because I ain't never heard of him/her and as I almost never watch TV I am guessing that they are some TV celeb? Oh another thing where is St Helens where this person is a legend?

Brit,

He was something of a legend among the outcasts from proper rugby St Helens is a Heathen Place, in "The North" where pretend rugby is popular.

Sam
    (Tounge firmly in cheek)
    "Even at the very bottom of the river, I didn't think to myself, Is this a hearty joke or the merest accident? I just thought, it's wet." - Eeyore

Jon
    that is a better response that i would of expected
    just goes to show they are not really that bothered in the actuall story, more in the lines of how much they can coin in from it
    typical journalism

Having spoken to Keiron again yesterday, lets just say that Zeiss are still cock-a-hoop with the publicity that was given to their products featured in the original Jacoby video. Happy days.

xxx
    Last edited by stone; 08-05-2010 at 04:41. Reason: for being to serious about something i beileve in

Rich,

I hardly think Sam would have known about your up bringing ? not like you to take things so seriously, and it was tongue in cheek, so was not to be taken seriously!

Sikamalc

Oh Rugby that explains why I no nowt about it. To me it's like Football a grand waste of time and money. Load of blokes chasing a bag of wind around a park .

So somehow Zeiss got some publicity out of this ?

Stone now you didn't really expect a jounalist to write truth or fact did you? I would be surprised if they knew what it looked even if it jumped up and bit them!

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Brit,

He was something of a legend among the outcasts from proper rugby St Helens is a Heathen Place, in "The North" where pretend rugby is popular.

Sam
    (Tounge firmly in cheek)
    It is indeed a place full of Heathens who kick a bag of wind about who claim to be able to play the said game, wether thats a correct and truthfull statement is one of opinion
    Not sure if hes a legend though
    Regards Stu
    Wiganer and Beef custard eater

I am sorry if my above post has offended any one, I tryed to make it as clear as I could that it was meant only in jest. I apologise if I have offended you and will gladly remove it if is deemed neccisary by the Grand Pubas of moderation, or anyone else.

And for the record I am as northen as pie and mushy peas, and its southen folk who have the funny accents

Sam
    "Even at the very bottom of the river, I didn't think to myself, Is this a hearty joke or the merest accident? I just thought, it's wet." - Eeyore