Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: G'day from Queensland, Australia

G'day from Queensland, Australia

Hi All,
    After lurking for a while I thought it was about time I joined the fun. I live in South West Queensland in regional Australia and am lucky enough to go hunting/shooting most weekends. Feral pigs and kangaroos (under permit) are my main target. After 35 years of hunting I still can't wait to get out in the bush for a look around and have no plans of slowing down soon.

Sako's and Kahles are my preference as well as an XD50 thermal scope I got in Jan this year after a bit of a hiccup in customs. The majority of my shooting is done at night using a spotlight, a 222 and 243 fitted with fixed 8x56's do the job nicely. The thermal comes out a fair bit as well when the pigs become light shy.

As for stalking I did take a coupe of Fallow bucks about 15 years ago down on the Queensland/New South Wales border, not very large animals but certainly a challenge and new to me at the time.

I am really interested to see how things are done in the UK, so far it seams very different.

Regards
    Jerry
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photo 1.JPG   photo 3.JPG   photo 4.JPG  

Good work Jerry. I hope you got that XD50 before the price hike!!
    Blaser K95 Stutzen - the ultimate deer stalking rifle

Thanks for the reply mate, I had it on order for about 4 months before delivery and the supplier held the price for me which was good. Cost $6350 AUD, so about 3000 GBP, last I heard they are around the $8K mark here.

Welcome,

Rory

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Hi All,

I am really interested to see how things are done in the UK, so far it seams very different.

Regards
    Jerry
    hi Jerry, welcome to the forum. I experienced hunting pigs in nz a few years ago and that was a different experience. I guess in the UK we are a bit different in that we have more people so have to ensure very good back stops and generally shorter range than out there!

As for not slowing down, absolutely, preparing to get out is just as exciting as when I started and if that adrenaline ever stops before a shot I will know it's time to give up.

have you ever got into samba in oz?

Welcome Jerry grrrrr day, look forward to reading some ozzy input.

Welcome from Essex....

Went to the East coast a good few years ago diving out of Jervis Bay....

Tim.243
    Stalking is very much like going to the night club

You can always tell an Essex Boy, just you cant tell him much...

An hour in the field is worth a week of typing trash.....

Welcome on board sir!
    "He who drags the deer has the last laugh (mainly because he has to get his breath back)"

Quote Originally Posted by stalker.308 View Post
    hi Jerry, welcome to the forum. I experienced hunting pigs in nz a few years ago and that was a different experience. I guess in the UK we are a bit different in that we have more people so have to ensure very good back stops and generally shorter range than out there!

As for not slowing down, absolutely, preparing to get out is just as exciting as when I started and if that adrenaline ever stops before a shot I will know it's time to give up.

have you ever got into samba in oz?
    Thanks for the warm welcome, there certainly are some big areas we cover but still very conscious of stock etc as we get around the place. I haven't had a crack at Sambar myself, their range is predominantly in Victoria about 1500klms away, so a bit of a drive. There are quite a few die hard Sambar boys from my understanding. NZ pig hunting that I've seen is mostly with dogs, very exciting indeed as we use them a fair bit out my way as well, KIWI bush looks thick and lush compared to what we have locally, we rely on cropping mostly to get the pigs.
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Tim.243 View Post
    Welcome from Essex....

Went to the East coast a good few years ago diving out of Jervis Bay....

Tim.243
    Jervis Bay is a popular spot for diving/fishing being not overly developed, although it's been many years since I've visited, about 1400klms away.
    Skippy - very funny mate, my missus is from South Hampton and I have a few English mates at work, so I've heard the odd Aussie joke!
    One is from Liverpool and even after 7 years I can still only understand about 50% of what he says. The funny thing is that when he calls family in the UK they reckon he sounds Australian!!

Sonny: Careful Skip, I think I can see a hunter
    Skippy: Geez Sonny, I think you're right
    Sonny: Quick Skip , you take the chopper and I'll take the four wheel drive