Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: barrel wear

barrel wear

can someone please advise me im being told that i will need to re barrel my 22-250 after 1000 rounds is this a myth or correct
    thanks gary

Quote Originally Posted by rabbit-shooter View Post
    can someone please advise me im being told that i will need to re barrel my 22-250 after 1000 rounds is this a myth or correct
    thanks gary

Hi I was told the same when I first bought my 17 remington a renouned barrel burner I was told, well its done 2500 + rounds now and still shots under an inch @100yds, that said its like anything else in this world it will wear out eventually, but if you do not let it overheat and keep it clean using proper cleaning techniques it should last many more than 1000 rds Im sure, just enjoy your shooting and do not let it bother to much all to do with the way YOU keep it good luck!!!
    Last edited by dlz90; 07-05-2010 at 15:52. Reason: spelling

I think it is very factor dependant. By factor I mean Make of rifle, type of bullet, speed that sort of thing. As well as cleaning!

Sam
    May be wrong but its what I'v always been told
    "Even at the very bottom of the river, I didn't think to myself, Is this a hearty joke or the merest accident? I just thought, it's wet." - Eeyore

As they say if you shoot it fast, that is one shot very quickly after the other and keep doing that so it gets really hot you'll wear the throat and probably heat craze the bore for several inches pretty sharpish. However shoot it sensibly and allow time between shots and time to cool between groups and quarry and you'll see a lot more rounds throught he barrel than the scare mongers say. Shoot it like an auto or machine gun ans it's possible to get less than a 100 rounds though it.. Loads with lower pressures cause less wear.

dont clean it, it will last longer, if thats a fact, am i lieing?

Don't be put off! It's as the others say, if you load it hot and fast and shoot it like a machine gun you will provoke throat erosion at a fairly rapid rate. Shot sensibly it will last a long time. A mate of mine was told by a fairly famous rifle maker that his .22PPC would need a rebarrel after 700 rounds. It didn't, and it still doesn't!! It has shot three times that many and still is incredibly accurate.

ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Quote Originally Posted by flytie View Post
    . A mate of mine was told by a fairly famous rifle maker that his .22PPC would need a rebarrel after 700 rounds.
    ft
    I bet he said he would be the man to do it as well?

atb

Sam,

Completely of topic ft, but have you heard that the RFU want rid of Johno! :
    "Even at the very bottom of the river, I didn't think to myself, Is this a hearty joke or the merest accident? I just thought, it's wet." - Eeyore

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    I bet he said he would be the man to do it as well?

atb

Sam,

Completely of topic ft, but have you heard that the RFU want rid of Johno! :

Sam, he was the man who built it, and wanted the job of re-barreling It's a shame how transparent people can be, supposedly professional, trying to rip off his customers

As for getting rid of Johno, the man asked to be judged on his results, they have been piss poor. His selection policy defies logic. I leave the backs to those better qualified to discuss, lets think about the front row. Tim Pain (Payne) of Wasps. I have seen him go backwards all season, he got rinsed by a baby at Gloucester, he was murdered by Duncan Bell at Bath let alone what Carl Hayman did to him in the N'castle game. If we look at the tackle counts of props Where is he, not even half way up the list, the list is headed by Jon Golding at N'castle, Carl Hayman is second.

Then we get to hookers, Steve Thompson, used to be a fine player, not now. Don't even get me started on Tightheads.

I have thought for a long time that the problem was John Wells, but if Johno won't get rid of him and sort it out, then he has to go. Ultimately he has to carry the can. Personally I would shoot, sorry sack Rob Andrew and put Johno there and give the coaching job to someone who can do the job, with a proven track record, who will pick players on merit and form and develop the youngsters. Something England have forgotton in the last few years. He was the finest second row I have ever seen play the game, up there with the greats, but can he coach........................ I don't know! And that is a sad thing to say.

ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

During a visit to the Sauer factory, this very subject came up. The technical guys at Sauer looked bemused, then fell about laughing...they reckon to get 30,000 rounds through a Sauer barrel, in any calibre, before replacement is necessary!

I have never seen a group of shooters (generally) that bought into the "less than a thousand rounds and it's done" theory as UK shooters. Even the 204 Ruger -this decades barrel burner- is good for a little more than that when loaded to max. I have yet to hear of a rifle handed to a "gunsmith" that wasn't pronounced, in the 'Smith's judgment, to be beyond it's prime. I have rifles that are 100 years old, had countless service rounds through them, and will still shoot as well as I can hold.~Muir