Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: VW Passat - Anyone advise please?

VW Passat - Anyone advise please?

I have one of the older VW Passat Deisel Estates and have done the most stupid thing! I called in to a garage that I don't usually use and got £10 worth of deisel - Or at least i thought I was putting diesel in.
    The car drove well enough for about 8 miles till I got to a friends place but then the engine "died" just as I was paking up and would not start again. After looking around what had happened dawned on me. I took the fuel filler cap off and could smell petrol.
    There was no knocking from the engine and it drove well enough between the garage and my mates place so I am sure that I haven't damaged the engine. I can't do anything about it till Friday as I am in hospital tomorrow (Only for my annual heart review, and I don't think there are any problems in that department) and then I am away on a day trip with the elderly from our flats on Thursday.
    I have another good friend who lives just round the corner from where the car is broken down and on Friday we are going to tow the car to his lock up garage and drain the system, pit a new fuel filter onit and then get it going again with fresh DIESEL!
    What I need to know in advance is: Is there a fuel drain plug on the tank or will we have to drop the tank to drain it out.
    Can anyone advise please?

Quote Originally Posted by FrenchieBoy View Post
    I have one of the older VW Passat Deisel Estates and have done the most stupid thing! I called in to a garage that I don't usually use and got £10 worth of deisel - Or at least i thought I was putting diesel in.
    The car drove well enough for about 8 miles till I got to a friends place but then the engine "died" just as I was paking up and would not start again. After looking around what had happened dawned on me. I took the fuel filler cap off and could smell petrol.
    There was no knocking from the engine and it drove well enough between the garage and my mates place so I am sure that I haven't damaged the engine. I can't do anything about it till Friday as I am in hospital tomorrow (Only for my annual heart review, and I don't think there are any problems in that department) and then I am away on a day trip with the elderly from our flats on Thursday.
    I have another good friend who lives just round the corner from where the car is broken down and on Friday we are going to tow the car to his lock up garage and drain the system, pit a new fuel filter onit and then get it going again with fresh DIESEL!
    What I need to know in advance is: Is there a fuel drain plug on the tank or will we have to drop the tank to drain it out.
    Can anyone advise please?

Well, the good news is that
    1. You only put in £10s worth
    2. You have a mate that can help

I put £80 in an S-Max, spent £120 getting it drained, and then a further £80 filling it back up!

They tipped the car a bit, then put a pump into the tank via the filler cap to drain it. As I'd only driven about 50' there was no damage to the engine/filters etc..., so can't comment on what remedial work you'll need, but as this happens all the time, I'll bet that a quick Google will pop up some thoughts.

Good luck
    i.
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

I'd doubt there's a drain on the tank , and you'll have a huge job to take the tank out aswell

id suggest a call to the AA or who ever your with and they'll Suck it out it'll be less hassle

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    Take the fuel line of in the engine compartment, attach a further bit of pip to reach the floor or into a ground level container,

Switch on the egnition and let the fuel pump run until the tank is empty,

When empty, fill with a small amount of diesel ...3 ltrs ish, do the same as above,(flushing out the petrol and crud)

Fill with some clean fuel and then run the pump until it shows at the engine block end.(bleeding it)

When this is done swith off egnition reconnect the fuel line to the injector block and start the engine,

Bob,

Make sure you have a good battery as this can drain a winter shy one in no time.
    Last edited by bobjs; 17-11-2015 at 18:25.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

If it's only a tenners worth change the filter put 50 notes worth of derv in the tank bleed it up and drive. I wouldn't worry about it! In some cases the petrol can affect the seals in the fuel pump also petrol doesn't have the lubricant property's of derv but this will not be apparent until you got it running

Think the AA take the filter off and attach their pump to the inlet pipe. One of those pumps that fit onto a drill might do the job.

How old?
    diesel pumps require diesel to lubricate them unfortunately

DO NOT PUMP THAT STUFF THROUGH THE DI PUMP TO DRAIN, not good advice
    the engine will run fine on petrol, or veg oil or coal dust

the delicate bit is the direct injection pump if you have one

I was was going to describe how to get the pump under the rear seat to pump the tank empty but suspect you have a secondary pump on the block depending on the age and model

diesel pumps need to be primed also, you can't just crack the seal and then reconnect

how much was in the tank when you filled it?
    Last edited by bewsher500; 17-11-2015 at 18:42.

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    How old?
    diesel pumps require diesel to lubricate them unfortunately

DO NOT PUMP THAT STUFF THROUGH THE DI PUMP TO DRAIN, not good advice
    the engine will run fine on petrol, or veg oil or coal dust

the delicate bit is the direct injection pump if you have one

I was was going to describe how to get the pump under the rear seat to pump the tank empty but suspect you have a secondary pump on the block depending on the age and model

diesel pumps need to be primed also, you can't just crack the seal and then reconnect

how much was in the tank when you filled it?
    There was only a gallon or so (Maybe a little less) in the tank when I pulled into the garage so there will be about 2.5 gallons to drain.
    I am hoping that by disconnecting the inlet pipe that goes to the fuel filter and then connecting a syphon to it we will be able to drain the tank. If we can drain the tank that way we will then put a good few gallons of fresh diesel into the tank and then take the old fuel filter off and replace it with a new one after filling it with fresh diesel, then bleed the system at the injector pump.

Hopefully that will work, any thoughts?

Suck the contaminated fuel out then sprinkle lightly over the soft interior then WHOOSH!

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOT View Post
    Suck the contaminated fuel out then sprinkle lightly over the soft interior then WHOOSH!
    Thanks for your words of wisdom but at the moment I'm a little lacking in humour!