Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lynx UK Trust - can't even agree on the right species

Lynx UK Trust - can't even agree on the right species

Fascinating disagreement in the comments section of September 2 at https://www.facebook.com/lynxuktrust/ "Where are the proposed release sites?" ......where there is a debate about the right species to re-introduce. Mark Langford seem to be using the right stick to prod with. I wonder if the public realise that the Lynx they want to introduce can never never be our historical species. The comments on this page are generally representative of rabid eco-warriors, their view on farming and pest control are as entertaining as they are warped.

Feral cats are nuisance enough. I've got a neighbour who allows her cats to breed outside and never attempts to have the kittens indoors. I've shot 3 recently, up to quarter of a mile from her house.

Not sure that the pumas are going to like their territories invaded by lynx - you should be able to hear the discussion some distance away.

Quote Originally Posted by JTO View Post
    Feral cats are nuisance enough. I've got a neighbour who allows her cats to breed outside and never attempts to have the kittens indoors. I've shot 3 recently, up to quarter of a mile from her house.
    Do pet cats have to have collars or be chipped, etc, for identification as I hate them and have never had one as a pet? Just wondering how to tell a feral cat from someones pet as we suddenly have loads around where we live and I'm sure they are not all pets, includng a right scruffy 3 legged thing!! Most of them leg it when approached and won't come close to my kids when they try to stroke them, which to me means they don't have much human interaction,

Stratts
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

Quote Originally Posted by stratts View Post
    Do pet cats have to have collars or be chipped, etc, for identification as I hate them and have never had one as a pet? Just wondering how to tell a feral cat from someones pet as we suddenly have loads around where we live and I'm sure they are not all pets, includng a right scruffy 3 legged thing!! Most of them leg it when approached and won't come close to my kids when they try to stroke them, which to me means they don't have much human interaction,

Stratts
    Cats are a legal oddball you can't shoot wild cats, you can shoot feral cats, you can shoot pet cats with the owners OK but if you don't get their OK you could be charged with criminal damage not sure how you work out pet from feral though

I was always told by my old keeper, "the only safe cat is the one on the owners lap!" When I see tabatha I loose my old BGS Xena she hates them.

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.

Just been at a very inresting talk on the scottish wild cat, there will be a very big issue if the 2 are in the same area both lynx predating wildcats and competing for food.
    Funny an animal that is genetically the same as wot has always lived here and is probably as rare as any cat species might get killed out by a re-intro species.

Biggest threat to wild cats is hybridisation with domestic cats, cat protection think there could be 1.5 million feral cats in UK, 5 estates in a trial area shot 3000 feral cats in a few years

Stratts very difficult to tell the difference as both have a black cross on them prior to being shot.

Biggest threat to wild cats is hybridisation with domestic cats, cat protection think there could be 1.5 million feral cats in UK, 5 estates in a trial area shot 3000 feral cats in a few years[/QUOTE]

Where were the 5 estates? In Scotland? That's a lot of cats. I can't understand why they waste funding money on neutering feral cats surely they are competing for food by releasing them again. Fair enough having a scheme to neuter people's pets but feral cats? We used to keep cats and there were several times when we reckoned a wild cat had bred with them as the kittens looked like typical wildcats. If reintroducing lynx would see a great up surge in tourism of people desperate to see a shy secretive creature with little chance of an actual sighting then why isn't there already this situation with our own indigenous scottish wildcat, the circumstances are exactly the same. Just another case of Half arsed conservation and giving a species 15 mins of fame to fill their pockets.

[QUOTE=shakey jake;1042302]Cats are a legal oddball you can't shoot wild cats, you can shoot feral cats, you can shoot pet cats with the owners OK but if you don't get their OK you could be charged with criminal damage not sure how you work out pet from feral though[/QUOTE

The ones that sit still are feral