Thread: Dickin medal

Dickin medal

Reckon the dog qualifies, Malinois Diesel, went in to the property in Paris suburbs, occupied by terrorists & paid the full price, hope his/her handler is coping well.
    Last edited by finnbear270; 20-11-2015 at 06:37.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

An excellent idea, I have asked about the nomination process?

Perhaps the French have a Dikin medal of their own to award

I've had a look but I can find no evidence of awarding medals to animals in France. Or indeed anywhere apart from the UK.

Regular Poster
    Where there are more Muntjac than you can shake a stick at
    Time to show some solidarity, and no harm in asking :

PDSA : "If you know of an animal that has either saved a life or been seriously injured or killed while carrying out official duties in the face of armed or violent opposition – you can contact PDSA with your nomination via the General Enquiries Contact Form :

https://www.pdsa.org.uk/contact-us/g...enquiries-form

For UK nominations : If you are connected with the animal (handler or serving in the same Service) you will need the permission of the Commanding Officer and their confirmation of the nomination in writing plus two eye-witness accounts plus the inclusion of any supporting material (documents / media reports etc).

You can nominate an animal without this
    BUT the submission will need this information to be taken forward as a formal request".

The dog deserves your nomination, time to brush the process serving aside.

Great idea!
    In the USA, police dogs and horses are deputized by the county sheriff, so they have authority to act under command of an officer and pursue suspects or obtain evidence. Harming one is the same as if attacking a human officer of the law.

France has in the past awarded the Croix de Guerre Medal to a carrier pigeon, for its role in saving the lives of American soldiers who were trapped behind German lines and were also receiving friendly fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern View Post
    Great idea!
    In the USA, police dogs and horses are deputized by the county sheriff, so they have authority to act under command of an officer and pursue suspects or obtain evidence. Harming one is the same as if attacking a human officer of the law.
    Damned good idea.
    They should do it over here too.

Acc to the Daily Mail today the French have awarded this policedog medals in the past.
    Martin

Latest information on the medal situation.
    Thank you for contacting PDSA regarding police dog Diesel. We were extremely shocked and saddened to hear about the death of Diesel. Animals like her provide invaluable assistance to Police across the world and our thoughts are with the force and Dieselís handler at this time.
    PDSA has received several enquiries and messages from members of the public and the media regarding Dieselís death. No formal nomination has been received for a PDSA animal bravery award at this time, although several people have indicated their support, and we will follow up with the French Authorities when the time is right. We always welcome nominations for the PDSA Dickin Medal* but these should come from recognised agencies such as the military or police forces.
    Thank you for your interest and support. As soon as I have any further news Iíll be back in touch.