Thread: Which rat bait would you recommend?

Which rat bait would you recommend?

Looks like I have a ratty problem in the wood shed. I need to buy some suitable bait but there is a wide selection available any suggestions to which is the best/most cost effective? Mole Valley and Countrywide stores do their own but have also heard good reports on Tomcat. I could use blocks or if treated grain which I will place in plastic cash bank bags which in previous years have been very effective. Would think 3kg max needed.

D

I would recommend cheap supermarket cat food and a Weihrauch HW45
    For Gods sake - don't tell her how much I've spent

Ctrl-Alt FACT

Quote Originally Posted by Cyres View Post
    Looks like I have a ratty problem in the wood shed. I need to buy some suitable bait but there is a wide selection available any suggestions to which is the best/most cost effective? Mole Valley and Countrywide stores do their own but have also heard good reports on Tomcat. I could use blocks or if treated grain which I will place in plastic cash bank bags which in previous years have been very effective. Would think 3kg max needed.

D
    3 kg of bait is a lot of dead rats if you read the LD on the bait HSE

if you have them under your shed and can insert either Difenacoum or Bromodiolone @0.005% ww - Blocks not loose grain ( you can't check activity bait take with loose grain) placed under the shed in the rat tunnels on wire with a hook on the end and and enough left over to let you secure the bait wire to the outside of the shed get the bait as far down in the holes making sure that if they want the bait they've got to eat there and don't allow them take it away and stash as you can completely seal the hole over so nothing else but the rats have access to the bait.

keep checking the bait every 2-4 days by pulling out the wire rebating as required re insert and make sure it is sealed keep doing that until you have no further signs of activity for two to four weeks, make sure once you have sorted the activity you remove any bait left and dispose off responsibly and back fill the holes with pea shingle that will make it easy to identify any further activity that may turn up

job done 😃

Good luck

I'd use loose wheat poured down rat tunnels or through the floor of shed trays of bait inside if their feeding inside the shed, I've found rats slow to eat blocks once they are settled also dogs can't eat loose wheat as quickly if they get access, you will probably find the rats eat alot more bait than they need to be poisoned. Unless you know of resistance in your area either of the actives difenicoum or bromadilone should work fine, stay away from the stronger ones like brodifacoum or flucomafen to much risk of secondary poisoning and the smell of the bait is only there to catch pest controllers rats don't seem to care

Neosorexa Gold Pro - Rat and Mouse cut wheat bait for total rodent control - BASF Pest Control Solutions UK

I have long been a fan of neosorexa and for over 20 years it has worked well for me, it isn't the cheapest but had in my experience good consumption levels from rats and mice and plenty of casualties after doing so!

regards

BP

Watch out for the bodies carrying poison, whatever bait you use. Beware also that rat and mouse bait is a favourite of badgers who have sensitive noses. I used Countrywide bait sealed in a 4" pipe with end caps - the badgers rolled it about but couldnt get to the bait. Under the shed may not be favourite as badgers (if you have them) are excellent earthmovers.