Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying Expanding Head

Buying Expanding Head

I have expanding ammunition on my FAC but have never bothered to reload other than for long range target.

My question is am I limited to the number of expanding projectiles I can buy by the quantity of expanding ammunition I am authorized to possess.

Yes, cartridges & expanding bullets are limited by the quantity allowed on your FAC

Normally if you reload there are two limits, a higher limit for the number of bullets that you can possess and then a lower number of assembled cartridges.

So you should speak to your FLO to get you certificate amended.

not on my fac.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh6 View Post
    Normally if you reload there are two limits, a higher limit for the number of bullets that you can possess and then a lower number of assembled cartridges.

So you should speak to your FLO to get you certificate amended.

Quote Originally Posted by garyw View Post
    not on my fac.
    Neither on mine - never had anything but a single quantity on there.

GMP don't do that as well. Although I have seen it one some permits

Only 1 number on my FAC as well. I always thought the number of expanding rounds allowed referred to assembled rounds and not just the heads alone because unless they are assembles the heads are just bits of metal. That said I have never had more heads than I was allowed but I would be interested to hear some thoughts on this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Newbie Mark View Post
    Only 1 number on my FAC as well. I always thought the number of expanding rounds allowed referred to assembled rounds and not just the heads alone because unless they are assembles the heads are just bits of metal. That said I have never had more heads than I was allowed but I would be interested to hear some thoughts on this issue.
    bits of metal that you are not allowed to post, need to keep locked up & count towards your overall holding of loaded ammunition...

there is a bit of confusion with this. I only have the number of rounds that I can purchase and the number of rounds that I can keep for the various calibres, all of which can be expanding. However I was told that with non expanding bullet heads, such as Hornady Amax you can have as many as you want. They only become classified as ammunition when they are loaded. These bullet heads can be sent through the post without any mention of firearm certificate, so I'm confident this is the case.

Quote Originally Posted by simonl View Post
    bits of metal that you are not allowed to post, need to keep locked up & count towards your overall holding of loaded ammunition...

^^^ what he said.

If your allowance is 400 then it can be 400 bullets OR 400 rounds OR 200 of each or any variation there of.
    this ONLY applies to expanding bullets. Target/FMJ don't count towards the total till loaded
    Any Questions Feel Free to PM me