Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Venision and dogs???

Venision and dogs???

Hi all

im currently hacking my way though a fallow with my springer looking at me with loving eyes hoping she's in for a treat.

so is Venision OK to give to dogs and would it be best cooked?

baicaly I have got as much meat off the neck as I want but still lots on there so was thing of boiling it for 20-30 mins and the once cool letting her tuck in.

would this be ok or not as its still on the bone.

thanks
    michael

Don't bother cooking it, raw is fine, they love it!
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Absolutely fine to feed your dog, many times better than the processed muck some companies market as "dog food".
    Mine live off venison offcuts and meaty bones for a good while after I'm done with the bulk of the carcass. Don't overdo it at first if your dog isn't used to raw meat though and keep an eye on the dog if it's not used to bones.
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY
    Blog

Quote Originally Posted by michaeli View Post
    Hi all

im currently hacking my way though a fallow with my springer looking at me with loving eyes hoping she's in for a treat.

so is Venision OK to give to dogs and would it be best cooked?

baicaly I have got as much meat off the neck as I want but still lots on there so was thing of boiling it for 20-30 mins and the once cool letting her tuck in.

would this be ok or not as its still on the bone.

thanks
    michael
    My friend takes most of the ribs/spine, his wife boils them up and picks all the meat off.
    It goes into take-away-trays, frozen then as needed is given to his lab and two spaniels.

All the trimmings I have go to my ferrets, they love it....big bun fight when they get stuck into it lol

Tim.243
    Stalking is very much like going to the night club

You can always tell an Essex Boy, just you cant tell him much...

An hour in the field is worth a week of typing trash.....

There are certain bones you might get away with Michael depending on the dog. However you could end up with a hefty vet bill for your generosity. If you boil the bones till the meat falls off then give him the meat,better for him. You might have to put up with the 'farts' due to the change in diet.. We all have different ideas, Raw v cooked.....bad habits etc......jc

BARF,(bones and raw flesh) the best way to feed a dog, it's natural. My labs and cocker get all the trimmings from muntjac, roe and the occasional fallow, but as my stalking is for the smaller species mainly I do not give them bones 'cos of the risk of splintering and internal damage as a result. Labs are such greedy blighters! Instead I get marrow bones from the butcher.
    Last edited by Jezza308; 19-11-2015 at 17:47.

"Labs are such greedy blighters!" Agreed Jezza......Hes waiting......... Patiently . jc Attachment 63510

Once butchered my wirehairs get the entire carcass. . rib cage, spine, the lot. . . gone in a couple of hours.

My Lab has reduced an entire Muntjac carcass once butchered, to nothing in 3 hours.

OK as a treat but not enough fat in the meat for its main source of protein...