Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 34

Thread: How to get open certificate?

  1. #1

    How to get open certificate?

    Hello,
    I am primarily a target shooter but I have recently started to go lamping with a friend who shoots on quite a few different pieces of land. The owners are happy for me to shoot with my friend but I need an open certificate. Any ideas if this is possible? I have had my FAC for a couple of years. I'm with Essex police if that makes a difference.

    Cheers,
    Jake

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Onehandedpilot View Post
    Hello,
    I am primarily a target shooter but I have recently started to go lamping with a friend who shoots on quite a few different pieces of land. The owners are happy for me to shoot with my friend but I need an open certificate. Any ideas if this is possible? I have had my FAC for a couple of years. I'm with Essex police if that makes a difference.

    Cheers,
    Jake

    There is no logic to open certs.

    Just talk to your FAC chap and explain it to him and see what he says.

    I got oc after less than a year. We have just had a trainee get his first ever FAC and its for a 308 and openimediatly because he needed an open cert to shoot on the land he had available.

    As I said zero logic to the situation just on the whim of the firearms officer.

    ATB

    Chasey

  3. #3
    I'm sending mine away with a nice letter (as soon as I've bought everything I need for a while) asking to have it opened. My argument for getting it opened will be that I sometimes receive impromptu invitations to shoot with others whose certificates are open, and it's not possible to find out if the land is clear. So I lose out on opportunity to use my rifle, which is unfair. Also, some force areas no longer inspect ground and/or issue open certificates as standard. If I were to book or be invited stalking in one of those areas I'd again be unable to use my rifle.
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY
    Blog

  4. #4
    There shouldn't be a any problem, especially if you can get a letter from your friend to say that he has accompanied you while lamping etc and in his opinion there is no reason why you should not have your FAC on Open Conditions.
    Can I ask does your friend have Open Conditions on his FAC?



  5. #5

  6. #6
    Keep asking for land checks and clearance
    will soon get pissed off!

  7. #7
    Yes he has an OC
    Quote Originally Posted by FrenchieBoy View Post
    There shouldn't be a any problem, especially if you can get a letter from your friend to say that he has accompanied you while lamping etc and in his opinion there is no reason why you should not have your FAC on Open Conditions.
    Can I ask does your friend have Open Conditions on his FAC?

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Onehandedpilot View Post
    Yes he has an OC
    In which case there should be no problem. All he needs to do is write a letter saying that he has been out accompanying you and can confirm that you are a perfectly safe shooter and that there is no reason that he can see for you not being granted a less restrictive open certificate. Put his letter in with a letter from you explaining your position (i.e. You are currently loosing the chance to shoot due to the restrictions being imposed on you by being on closed conditions) and hope for the best.
    I have done this a year or so ago for a couple of shooters after I had been out with them and seen that there were no safety issues that needed to be addressed or questioned (I originally mentored them) and they got their certificates changed to open conditions without any problems.

    Hope it all works out for you.



  9. #9
    Main problem you will have is that as its Essex police expect about a 4 month response time from them

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    Keep asking for land checks and clearance
    will soon get pissed off!
    this is what i did. the last one involved driving 2 fao's and the force armourer round a new permission to get it cleared.

    open ticket arrived alongside a variation.

Similar Threads

  1. Open certificate request
    By paultap in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 20-09-2015, 06:33
  2. limits on an open certificate
    By Mungo in forum Legal Issues
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 17-02-2014, 19:16
  3. Application for open certificate
    By DJC in forum Legal Issues
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 29-07-2011, 19:01
  4. Open certificate application
    By MJ75 in forum Legal Issues
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 23-06-2010, 13:09
  5. Open certificate
    By Wingers243 in forum Legal Issues
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 21-07-2009, 16:31

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •