Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Maybe a stupid question... DSC?

Maybe a stupid question... DSC?

I see when i look around in this nice forum something i dont know anything about. DSC1 ? DSC2? I googled and if i found the right stuff this is somthing to do with selling deer meat?
    Or does it have any other purpose besides that?
    //Jonny

DSC Training | Galloway Fieldsports explains about industry standards a bit here

Knowledge then experience.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Swedehunter View Post
    I see when i look around in this nice forum something i dont know anything about. DSC1 ? DSC2? I googled and if i found the right stuff this is somthing to do with selling deer meat?
    Or does it have any other purpose besides that?
    //Jonny

DSC1 teaches you all the theory required to go deer stalking.

DSC2 is just a NVQ type thing where a credable witness watches you actualy do deer stalking 3 times and then a pannel of our betters decides wether or not we are worthey

Many places are insisting on DSC2 level certificaton for permision to shoot

ATB

Chasey

Quote Originally Posted by long_range_rob View Post
    Knowledge then experience.
    Or possibly, certification followed by experience, by which knowledge is gained?

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Or possibly, certification followed by experience, by which knowledge is gained?
    I like that !

Or possibly experience gained allowing for knowledge by which a certification is awarded ??
    Blessed be the sheeple for they shall inherit bugger all...

Quote Originally Posted by Chasey View Post
    DSC1 teaches you all the theory required to go deer stalking.

DSC2 is just a NVQ type thing where a credable witness watches you actualy do deer stalking 3 times and then a pannel of our betters decides wether or not we are worthey

Many places are insisting on DSC2 level certificaton for permision to shoot

ATB

Chasey
    U must off had a very good instructor, DSC1 is just a basic theory test, with a tiny bit of basic safety thrown in, nothing more.
    More about deer biology, life cycles, ID, than actual how to stalk (althou knowing the deer ur stalking is vital)

while it is a good ticket and worthwhile it will not turn u into an expert stalker overnight

I was sponsored by the site to do my DSC1 which as a hapless novice I found incredibly interesting and informative. It isn't a "How to stalk deer" course, but concerns mostly safety, legislation, meat hygiene and best practice along with species ecology. The assessments (two practical and three written tests) are under formal conditions and accredited nationally.
    There were some very experienced people on my course who still learnt a lot from being there, and it certainly isn't a "just turn up and get your certificate" affair or a course just for novices.
    Whilst not necessarily 100% legitimate, some police forces do insist on applicants for deer-calibre rifles having DSC1. Whilst I disagree with their current making up of rules, I don't disagree with some level of mandatory training for firearms licencees in legal and safety matters.
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY
    Blog