Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: new calibre ?

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)

new calibre ?

right lads.

I am in the process of selling one of my 20 tac's and fancy another rifle calibre.

Now I have in the past used a few so I'm thinking of a calibre I have not held on ticket so this is my thinking.

I have my favourite calibres in the cabinet including the second 20 tac that I have up for sale.

1, 17 hmr
    2, tikka 20 tac NV rig/setup
    3, sako 20 tac rifle scope and mod combo that's on sale and leaving.(if unsold ill just keep it)
    4, tikka 6mmbr,

now I fancy a 6x47 or a 6.5x47 but I have only shot friends rifles and never had them on my ticket as such. so I don't know the long term users thoughts or experiences, all I would like is to be able to use it for is the odd stalking invite/trip and a bit of longer range work.

its all at bit of a mind twister as it all depends on the 20 tac selling.

thoughts ?

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

SD Regular
    6.5 Creedmoor seems to be in the ascendant.

Given your current arsenal, I would go upscale a little on the assumption you're looking at longer range stuff. Something like a 284 Win or up into 300WM perhaps to complement the existing lot.
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Red View Post
    6.5 Creedmoor seems to be in the ascendant.

Given your current arsenal, I would go upscale a little on the assumption you're looking at longer range stuff. Something like a 284 Win or up into 300WM perhaps to complement the existing lot.
    HI Simon

Creedmoor mmm nice thinking, not to sure about the .284 but I am thinking of having a bit more work out past 600 yards.

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

one of the 6.5's will sort you out (47/260/creedmoor/55) they all launch high bc 140g bullets at decent velocities and if you check the ballistics you may be surprised how they compare to the 300wm !
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tackb View Post
    one of the 6.5's will sort you out (47/260/creedmoor/55) they all launch high bc 140g bullets at decent velocities and if you check the ballistics you may be surprised how they compare to the 300wm !
    Tackb

thank you I am not a fan of the 300wm. this was after I had my face smacked by a load of side wash when shooting at bisley,

never again shall I shoot next to a WM with a muzzle break on

bob.

Ive got 284 and a 6.5-284. The 6.5 is my favourite so I would say pick a cartridge that will launch the 6.5 bullet of your choice

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rem284 View Post
    Ive got 284 and a 6.5-284. The 6.5 is my favourite so I would say pick a cartridge that will launch the 6.5 bullet of your choice

Thank you

Ill have a good chew over the write ups

Bob.

6.5 x 55 Swedish seems to have been flavour of the month in the last few years. 6.5-284 burns barrels out quickly, according to the F-Class shooters in my club. I've been advised to get a straight .284W so that the barrel is not on it's last legs by the time you have worked up a load for it.

243 Mate had 6.5x47, reckoned it was a really good round. Can't tell you much more than that as I never fired it.

Al

.264 win mag? I find it very alluring
    Any Questions Feel Free to PM me