Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 222 Rem as a general use rifle?

222 Rem as a general use rifle?

Last night I visited the gun club at The Lincolnshire Shooting centre to ask more questions and have a look at what is available in the used rifle line plus price up the general costs of shooting. The 222 Rem cartridge came up as they have a couple of used rifles for reasonable price for this cartridge. So am wondering just how suitable the 222 is for a general use rifle?

I know it would be most suitable for the 100m range practice after all it was always known as an accuracy round. Sierra 52 grn HPBT Match bullets for reloading at priced at less than 20 a box and of course being a small case it uses only small amounts of powder unlike the 270 win case. Depending on powder used 17.5 -26.0 grains so it is ecomonical on powder.

So your thoughts on this please?

general use for what?
    you are the wrong side of the border for it to be a really general purpose rifle but I am a buyer of all things .222

cheap to feed, all you ever need for foxes, vermin, small deer

I use 40gr for vermin and 60gr for roe.
    haven't shot a roe with anything bigger than a .222 for years

From what I understand although there are some Roe around these parts it's mainly Muntjac. Have heard rumours of Chinese Water Deer but never seen any. Roe and Muntjac though we do see on occasion even had a pair of Roe pass along the hedge at the back of the garden last year. The chances of finding a permission locally is very slight from what I am hearing it's all taken so most of my shooting will be on the range.

Now a friend did say that he would take me out after Muntjac but have not heard no more about it will have to jog his memory. My last stalking outing many years ago now was after Roe and I used my 270 sucessfully on a buck then and although I like the 270 round even still have my dies for it am thinking breaking into shooting again might be more gentle using the smaller round. Must admit the 222 Rem has always held an appeal from reading all the glowing reports in Shooting Times as a youth about the .222 Rem.

The ground behind us is controlled by a large farming concern and they have their shooters already and this is the way most of the bigger farm concerns operate it seems. The place I most often see the Roe is a nature reserve run by Lincolnshire Wildlife Trust so I doubt there would be any shooting offered there! It is only a couple of miles up the road too.

I hope that explains my thoughts better.

If you mean 'general purpose' as capable of doing a wide range of tasks, and hopefully with success, then no.

Not legal for deer species roe and above in England and Wales (seeing you're from Lincolnshire I'd assume Scottish law would be less relevant to you). Not particularly good at long range target unless you load heavy and have the appropriate twist rate; even then, there are better 22 CF cartridges.

If you want a capable CF for vermin control out to reasonable ranges, have the opportunity for the odd muntjac, and are content to shoot targets within its limitations, then 222 is a fine cartridge.

Wolfie

Buy one and if getting .222 Rem cartridges is too hard get a gunsmith to pop a reamer up it and make it a .223. Heavier projectiles, more choice and a bit more poke.
    Having said that the .222 is a brilliantly accurate round and a lot of fun, I'd buy one.

The reason the .222 is is appearing secondhand is it's been eclipsed by the .223....... so drive a hard bargain.

The .222 is likely to have done a lot less work than an unknown .223, as there's no FMJ surplus in .222. It's not a common rifle on ranges, as SP is usually used which is harder to come by and more expensive.

Charges and chamber pressures are lower in the .222, and it's equally as capable as the .223 for Muntjac & Fox in E&W.

It makes no sense to rechamber .222 to .223 when .223's outnumber it by the thousand. If you did, you would then have a novelty .223 in 1:14" twist rather than the usual 1:12 of the .223.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

I have 2 .223s in 1:14 and have had no issues with projectiles from 63gn and down. Addit: I'll add that the 63s were driven pretty quick to get them to stabilise. But 55s are a great load in the 1:14 and deliver good results if driven at 3300-3400fps. Surely a .223 is easier to sell than a .222?
    The mod takes about an hour if done carefully and should cost next to nothing.
    Last edited by hybridfiat; 20-11-2015 at 15:45.

222 is a really nice and easy to shoot calibre. The Sako's are particularly nice. All that is really needed for all things up to the size of Roe (and yes its not Roe legal in England, but not really sure why not). With a 222 and a 7x57 / 270 / 7x64 / 30-06 / 308 you would be covered for everything you would ever want to shoot in Europe, and in a 375 you are covered around the world. But I have a very nice left handed 243 Heym that to is very accurate etc and would I swap it for a 222 - probably not as it too covers just about everything it needs to do. A 222 was used regularly on much bigger game than Roe - nowadays it probably should nt be, but probably still is.

Quote Originally Posted by hybridfiat View Post
    I have 2 .223s in 1:14 and have had no issues with projectiles from 63gn and down. Addit: I'll add that the 63s were driven pretty quick to get them to stabilise. But 55s are a great load in the 1:14 and deliver good results if driven at 3300-3400fps. Surely a .223 is easier to sell than a .222?
    The mod takes about an hour if done carefully and should cost next to nothing.

Well ... 1 in 12 is the standard twist for .223 in the UK. We don't seem to want to rebarrel .222's in .223 much over here.

There isn't a problem with 1:14 in SP in weights from 40 - 63gr, whether it's .222, or even .22-250.
    It's shape & length, not bullet weight or velocity, that alters the picture..... but I see your point.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

Long range is not in the equation. The club range is 100m and although they do go to the MOD ranges at Beckenham and shoot longer distances a few times a year I understand. So long range shooting is not the issue. As for bullet weight as I understand it 52-55 grain is what the cartridge was designed for so that is what I shall stick with. The old BSA rifle that I saw yesterday had a nice heft to it a slick bolt and a barrel that I would describe as medium weight it being neither heavy in weight and also not pencil thin.

If I can get the time to get over the the club on Saturday there will hopefully be the chance to shoot this rifle. It's on commission sale and there is gun storage available.

I shall also look at a couple of proper target rifles they have on the racks those are in 7.62 and that of course is another option to consider. Shooting in Europe is not on the agenda so not a consideration.