Thread: Nosler Varmageddon

Nosler Varmageddon

Does anyone have any experience of these, in particular .224 40gr? Is there much difference in terms of fragmentation over the likes of vmax or blitzking bullets. I'm looking to develop a load for primarily for crows. out to 250 yards, for my .222.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flatliner View Post
    Does anyone have any experience of these, in particular .224 40gr? Is there much difference in terms of fragmentation over the likes of vmax or blitzking bullets. I'm looking to develop a load for primarily for crows. out to 250 yards, for my .222.

Thanks
    tried a few of the nolser BT in .224
    personally couldn't tell the difference between the varmageddon and the BT Varmint in orange tip form
    they were not as accurate in mine as AMax/VMax

The VMax never exited on foxes but I have no reference on any number of crows

they wont survive a hit from any of them

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    tried a few of the nolser BT in .224
    personally couldn't tell the difference between the varmageddon and the BT Varmint in orange tip form
    they were not as accurate in mine as AMax/VMax

The VMax never exited on foxes but I have no reference on any number of crows

they wont survive a hit from any of them
    Have you found this to be the case with both 40gr and 50gr?

i use 60gr vmax in my .223 and they vaporise stuff. plus the wind probably won't affect them as much as a 40gr.

If you want flattest trajectory possible, Varmageddon is not for you. 40gr BT is the right choice from Nosler lineup.

I've used 40gr Varmageddon HP for some time in 20" 223. Muzzle velocity 1100m/s / 3600fps. Zeroed 2cm high at 150m it will keep +- one inch at 40m to 200m. Moving to 40gr BT I could push the envelope 10% to 220m, but more importantly the BT retains 15% / 100m/s more velocity at those ranges.

Varmageddon is a bit tricky to reload since it's flatbase and jacket is very thin. Using Lee expander and FC die I'm satisfied with accuracy. If your seating die has a guide sleeve you might get good results w/o expander. Terminal performance very good for fox sized predators.

Since I'm happy with the trajectory (try to keep the shots to 150m and consider 200m a long stretch) I'm contemplating moving to 55gr BT. Around 950m/s MV it would duplicate the Varmageddon trajectory but provide 50% more energy at 200m. More importantly, I hope it would be possible to have POI coincide with another more sturdy bullet (shooting something edible).

Quote Originally Posted by jthyttin View Post
    Varmageddon is a bit tricky to reload since it's flatbase and jacket is very thin.
    really?
    I only use flatbase now
    shorter bullets allow heavier weights to be used in my rifle
    never had a problem seating anything

I am lucky that my lighter 40/45gr loads coincide with the windage for the 60gr SP's I use on deer
    the heavier bullets just impact 2" higher which is perfect for my purposes.

200yds is not a stretch for any 222 bullets starting at 3000-3600fps

Bewsher, I'm going to be using a Lee Loader for these rounds, do you think there would be any issues using a thinner jacketed bullet with it?

Nope
    i loaded vmax with a lee loader for ages

never worried about thinner jackets, if your neck tension is high enough to deform a jacket there is a bigger problem

really?
    I only use flatbase now
    shorter bullets allow heavier weights to be used in my rifle
    never had a problem seating anything
    Maybe it's my Lee seater die, but I did have problems bullet turning a bit sidewise when seating, and when I pulled a few, the jacket was deformed in addition to neck. I just couldn't get the bullet stay in approximately right position.

The base is much sharper (smaller radius) on Varmageddon than I'm used to with FB bullets. I contribute this to the thinner jacket but may well be wrong. My experience with FB is from larger calibers.

Regarding using only FB bullets, neither 40gr V-Max or BT are FB. 40gr Tipped Varmageddon is.

200yds is not a stretch for any 222 bullets starting at 3000-3600fps
    I consider 200m a stretch based on the limitations of my 223 shooter/gun/ammo capability. If I want to feel comfortable shooting raccoon dog (or occasional fox) at 200m I bring my 260.

And 200y is only 180m, that I would find much more comfortable since it would forgive more in range estimation error (most of the times I cannot use the laser). And of course shave off 10% of shooter error etc.

My girl friend shoots prairiedogs with her .222 at 250 and 300 yards using 40 grain V-Max bullets.~Muir