Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sausage texture. Am I doing something wrong?

Sausage texture. Am I doing something wrong?

So I seem to have some issues.
    Venison sausages, mixture is correct to chef monkey spanner. But the consistency is more like a bratvorst and crumbly.
    same with phesant sausages with chicken as an additive.

All taste ok, well except for the lime. But that is my fault. What am I doing wrong or am I doing anything wrong?

do I need more water? More setting time? I tend to add water to the bread separately then add it to the mince after and mix.

Suggestions?
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .

Add more water, I put rusk into mince then add water, I have been adding too little water in the past and it was difficult to fill skins, more water makes the mix smoother and less lumpy, a bit trial and error, if you get it too wet you can add more rusk/ bread crumbs. Tip from my butcher ... - don't let it stand (and dry out) get it stand in the casing.
    TonyC

For what I am reading you could be doing with more fat to use as a binding. Also try putting the rusks in a mixing bowl and add ice cold water and let it stand for a while to soak then add to the meat and seasoning mixture before mincing.

Hope this is of any help..............scott

From my limited experiences ,... more fat!, less water, excess water will give your cooking area a good splattering.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Sausage texture. Am I doing something wrong?

If you mince the meat then add seasoning rusk etc then case you get a more coarse texture sausage .....that's what I do , I don't mind it ..... Apparently for the texture of sausage we like here in UK , once it's all mixed ...put through mincer again that smooths the texture

Copied this from weschenfelders site , it's something I'm thinking of trying see how big a difference it makes

Another wee pointer I think makes big difference , I always used to make them , then get them vac packed and into freezer , now hang them ( or on a plate ) overbite in chiller or n fridge let them set before use or packing and freezing

Paul
    Last edited by sauer; 23-11-2015 at 08:19.

I usually mince the meat on course then add the Rusk and flavourings if any Mix in and mince a second time then add liquid (Water, Wine or Cider etc) have only done Pork tho so far 80% meat/fat to 20% rusk etc But pork is fatty

+1 to fat, I'm always surprised how much is needed. They sound as if they're drying out.

Quote Originally Posted by llwynog View Post
    +1 to fat, I'm always surprised how much is needed. They sound as if they're drying out.

Agreed. And if don't worry too much about adding a bit too much water. Leave the sausages hanging for a few hours and the excess water will soon disappear.

Instead of water, you could try red wine. It brings an added richness to the flavour.

Always mix the dry ingredients first.

Quote Originally Posted by bigscott270 View Post
    For what I am reading you could be doing with more fat to use as a binding. Also try putting the rusks in a mixing bowl and add ice cold water and let it stand for a while to soak then add to the meat and seasoning mixture before mincing.

Hope this is of any help..............scott
    I would concur with scott check out scott rea on you tube he knows his stuff