It came during the night!

FrenchieBoy

Well, in my post yeaterday about the weather it seems that I was right. I woke up this morning to find a layer of snow which was frozen solid in our car park and up the (Uphill) driveway into our car park. The conditions out the back of our flats really trecherous, I had to stop scraping the windows of the car to help a young nurse that was visiting one of our elderly neighbours as it was obvious that she was going to go a**e over t*t without assistance.
Here are a couple of photos that I have just taken of what it is like here, and believe me it really is freezing.
(The wife has just pointed out that at least we can see a clear blue sky for the first time since heaven knows when:lol:)
From the front window:
IMG_8188.jpgIMG_8190.jpg
And here is what I now have to face as soon as I have finished my cuppa. I need to get the car up here to take "Dearly Beloved" shopping. As you can see it is a blanket of solid ice. You can see where a 4X4 has struggled during the night! It is certainly going to test my driving abilities!
IMG_8191.jpg

Last edited:
Ooh, slippy. Don't think those tracks are 4x4 though, only one axle spinning,

You could be right but there is (Hopefully) going to be another set of tracks in a minute. I am going to try to get mine out in a minute - As soon as I have put some warmer clothes on.

You'll be pleased to know that we had none, and we have clear blue skies with not a cloud in sight. Bit of a chilly wind though.

You'll be pleased to know that we had none, and we have clear blue skies with not a cloud in sight. Bit of a chilly wind though.

Not really that pleased about it mate!
I've just got back in and there is no chance of getting out at the moment. Within a few yards of hitting the slope the car was sliding backwards while the wheels were still going forwards. Unfortunately our driveway is sheltered from the sun for most of the day but there is a council grit and salt box at the top on the other side of the road so I will go up there shortly and see how well stocked it is. If there is any salt/grit in it I will grab some with my snow shovel and try again.
It's my own fault as I knew it was going to freeze but by the time I realised that I should have parked on the road out the front it was too late as I had had a couple of glasses of scotch (Not a lot but enough to have put me over the limit) and I wasn't going to take the chance!
Oh well, it might have done me a favour and saved me some money as I will not be able to take the wife shopping!:lol:

Sometimes it's better to not be able to get up a hill rather than go down it out of control. Guessed you wouldn't be too pleased we had none and the sun's blazing away :D

No snow and ice here in sunny Worcestershire, but it is absolutely freezing compared to just a few days ago, and the wind overnight has battered the garden fence into a ski jump which I've had to prop up temporarily with random timber I had left over.

Well I have got the car out and the driveway fairly clear. It took the best part of three quarters of an hour, a shovel and one and a half council bins of salt/grit. At least now the residents and their visitors can get in and out safely!

Hi Frenchie, well done on the gritting, the photo doesn't show how steep your driveway really is mate, enjoy the whisky and keep warm bud.

Scoby 270

The arrival of the cold weather and high winds meant the pheasants were testing on the syndicate shoot today. My dog's happily laid in the warm kitchen having been fed and watered after a hard days work, while I relax in front of the fire with a dram reminiscing on a cracking days shooting.

The cold weathers not all bad.

ATB 243 Stalker.

The arrival of the cold weather and high winds meant the pheasants were testing on the syndicate shoot today. My dog's happily laid in the warm kitchen having been fed and watered after a hard days work, while I relax in front of the fire with a dram reminiscing on a cracking days shooting.

The cold weathers not all bad.

ATB 243 Stalker.

As long as both you and your dog are happy that will have made it all worth while!
Enjoy your dram!:tiphat:

I travelled to kilbucho for a days stalking yesterday aroound 3am. Doing 70mph on the motor as soon as I got to junction 37 straight down 35mph all the way to junction 44. The motorways wasn't gritted dispute the weather warning. When stalking I got to one of the peaks down wind but had to come down. The cold strong north wind was breaking up the snow towards my face it felt like little pins hitting me in the face.
One thing I learnt yesterday is I need to use the 4x4 function more. Thankfully it kicked in pulling me out of the snow.

We had heavy rain moving to snow at the start of yesterday's shoot, Down on the South Coast with a Northerly wind that was bitter and blowing up to about 50mph. Once snow and rain did clear, it was almost pleasant when out of the wind.. Made for some VERY fast birds when they did come out, but those that weren't kicking and curling in the wind tended to drop to almost grass height as soon as they could.

Regards

Mark

Back