Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cheap and functional semi-auto.... LH though....

Cheap and functional semi-auto.... LH though....

I've just about given up on my hunt for a cheap but worthy second hand semi-auto as I'm a southpaw and thus the pickings are slim. So it's got me thinking about a new Hatsan. I realise they aren't overly highly sought after as shiny Sunday best pieces, but I'm after a rough / field / woods / ground game gun that can be used and abused with heavy loads, steel and so on so it seems to fit the bill rather well for all of 350ish brand new and LH.

Anything else I've missed? Revo seem to be advertising fairly heavily but only one place seems to stock it and isn't exactly local, and the CZ I found doesn't appear to exist in the UK, so beyond that I'm out of ideas. I'd quite like something I can strap a lamp to as well.
    Last edited by Redleicester; 21-11-2015 at 21:55. Reason: clarity and detail

Wembley & Scott do a left hander in hats an money region ...I had one was fine .
    If your funds allow look for a bennelli m2 have one of now , will always have it .

Paul

Regular Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Redleicester View Post
    I've just about given up on my hunt for a cheap but worthy second hand semi-auto as I'm a southpaw and thus the pickings are slim. So it's got me thinking about a new Hatsan. I realise they aren't overly highly sought after as shiny Sunday best pieces, but I'm after a rough / field / woods / ground game gun that can be used and abused with heavy loads, steel and so on so it seems to fit the bill rather well for all of 350ish brand new and LH.

Anything else I've missed? Revo seem to be advertising fairly heavily but only one place seems to stock it and isn't exactly local, and the CZ I found doesn't appear to exist in the UK, so beyond that I'm out of ideas. I'd quite like something I can strap a lamp to as well.
    If you are interested in the Revo, then Brierley Guns in Brierley Hill stock them, or at least they stock the over/unders so I am sure that they would be able to get one in for you to have a look at. I can't comment on the quality of the gun, but the guys there are usually helpful so it might be worth a quick call to ask anyway. Good luck!

Aye I'd love the M2 it's a delightful thing but sadly four times the budget new and finding a second hand LH would be akin to rocking horse poo...

I have an Armsan SA and prefer it to the Hatsan I previously had, due to far better cycling of lighter shells (down to 24gms). It was SH when I bought it so perhaps it was well 'run in' by the time I obtained it.

Armsan do LH SA's as well. Cheapest I have seen are Gilsan Sports in Richmond, Nth Yorks (on a visit to the shop, not web prices). However there are lots out there and I would expect you to get a good deal somewhere (350 or less for new).

I am a leftie but prefer to use a RH SA shotgun, I just find it easier and the shells ejecting across the right don't seem to bother me. No idea why it's better for me that way...............

hh

Well there's an interesting thought. I shoot RH rifles and RH O/U and S/S so on the whole cast doesn't bother me if just assumed I didn't terribly want powdery shells passing my nose. Being able to go down to 24s and being RH would be handy as then my father would be able to use it as he finds my O/U too heavy.

Hmm. Looks like I need to go and find somewhere that will let me shoot or at least cycle some shells.

Hi Red,

The Armsan has shims to adjust cast and drop. After much messing about, I put it back to where it started - dead straight. I don't even register the shells passing and I wear glasses so most (any??) shotgun shell debris doesn't bother me - unlike .22LR SA's which fire **** in my direction regularly.

The safety is push button at back of the trigger and annoying on my Armsan as it is the 'wrong' way round for a leftie. I had a go are reversing it (which I've safely done on my 10/22 and Hatsan) but couldn't get it right. I contacted the distributors, but might have well asked the cat for advice............. I'll have another look one day, but it's something to note when you get a chance to play with one.

It is quite chunky/heavy so takes the sting out of recoil. Make sure you don't use 65mm shells as it doesn't cycle them. I suspect if could find 70mm 21gm shells it might cycle these, but never have, and I'm happy with 24gm ones.

Thinking about it I think I find it easier to tip the gun over when I am holding the pistol grip in my left hand and then use my right to feed shells in or cycle the action.

I quite fancy another in 20 or 28br.

hh

I was about to reply that I have two slabs of 21s here which my father uses in my O/U but on checking they're 67mm

Oddly the only 22SA I've shot was a modern black rifle thing which had a shell deflector so it was fine, but it's another concern I've come up against.

You might get away with some 67mm shells, just haven't had any luck with 65mm ones. I think it will depend on the 'speed' of the shells as much as anything. Quite a lot of 21gm seem to be low recoil.

Best of luck!!

hh

I had some crap blown in my eyes with RH auto , shells across face ...I wear glasses now if clay shooting but not out fowling or pigeons etc... Maybe I should .... That's why I went LH action auto.
    I did like the Webley & Scott and never had many jams with it .
    What bout other bennelli other than m2 ?
    Or a fabarm?
    Fabarm 12 gauge H368 Semi-Auto Shotgun for sale. Buy for £400.

Benelli 12 gauge Mancino Semi-Auto Shotgun for sale. Buy for £495.

Cheapest m1 I could find was 695

A few other fabarm there around 499. And franchi was an other LH that guntrader thru up but all around 500 quid

Good luck

Paul