Thread: Shooting "others" reloaded ammo.

SD Regular
    On the banks of the Columbia River, Portland OR. USA

Shooting "others" reloaded ammo.

A sister called her brother and told him that her husband had been put in jail for a felony and that he could never have guns again. The sister kindly offered her brother the felons gun and ammo. A BLR in 7mm mag. Why sure thing said the brother, he would be delighted to have it. Brother picked up the gun and the felons reloaded ammo. Next day, the brother dying to shoot his new rig goes to the range to do so. First shot, KABOOM! The gun blew up with the bolt of the BLR shooting straight back into brothers eye socket. The bolt luckily did not enter the scull, rather it slid around the shooters skull between the skin and skull bone ending up near the left eye. Brother lost an eye and had some other damage but survived. A police investigation determined that the felon used pistol powder to load his 7 mag. I know this to be a factual account because the company I work for paid a dismemberment claim for the lost eye. Moral of the story, be careful of who's ammo you shoot.

Good advice.
    Why did the police get involved? and dismantle the ammunition? Did they consider it a shooting? or a deliberate sabotage? ~Muir

SD Regular
    On the banks of the Columbia River, Portland OR. USA
    Anytime someone gets hurt with a firearm, the police get involved. I think doctors are required to report firearm accidents or injuries to the police. It was considered an accident. Don't remember why the police investigated so thoroughly, it may have been a liability issue. Also, depending on where you live, police investigations very widely. I do remember that the sister had given her brother a box of stuff, it may have included the pistol powder and reloading tools.

I dont shoot anyone reloads, I had to replace a barrel on a smith 1006 due to some handloads. Lucky for me it was the tank built 1006 and not a glock 20, or something lighter built. It may have been much worse for my hand. My "friend", had mistakenly substituted a fast powder in place of blue dot, but the same amount. Still have the 1006, smith and wesson fitted a new barrel, and checked it over before returning it. Its been close to 15 years.

I pull the projectile out of a couple and measure the loads. A 25/20 improved that I had years ago came with 100 rounds. 80gn SP flat tops and an Mullwex (ADI) 2205 powder charge that defied belief. Nevertheless they were safe to shoot (first shot was with a string from a safe distance). No extreme pressure signs and accurate as all getout (Martini Cadet action, Sprinter barrel). However even head shots on rabbits resulted in a 'pink mist' and bruising all the way down the back almost to the legs.
    A Brno target revolver however came with rounds triple charged with Bullseye. Not a nice thing to find and would have destroyed the revolver had I been dumb enough not to check.