Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What kinde of dog?

What kinde of dog?

What kinde of dogs do you guy's when hunting deer? or in another way...what kinde of dogs are you allowed to use?
    I dont read much about using dogs in the way we do here in Sweden ..thats why i ask .

dogs here are used to follow up wounded deer, find dead deer and indicate unseen deer. we dont use them to drive deer. I use GWP,s

Is that because of hunting tradition or by law that you dont use them for driven hunt? We use them here to for wounded deer of'course but alsow for driven hunt. I got a Wachtel/ east siberian Laika for that.

This is not the site if you want to see dogs hunting deer.
    Blaser K95 Stutzen - the ultimate deer stalking rifle

It's the law here, we cannot course deer. Traditionally though, it's just not seen as good sport.

When I think of coursing its using sight hounds but that's not what the OP is using for his hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by mchughcb View Post
    This is not the site if you want to see dogs hunting deer.
    But if you want to see feral pigs strafed from helicopters in Texas, and left to rot once they have died a lingering death, then you will often see videos of same posted on this deer stalking site.

Sweedhunter I had the pleasure to hunt in sweden for moose and boar I spent most of the time with the guys working the dogs as this was far more exciting than stood on the line.
    I managed to get within a few feet of a large bull moose and many others that week. I find it very interesting to see how others hunt and be part of different hunting cultures, atb wayne.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Quote Originally Posted by Swedehunter View Post
    What kinde of dogs do you guy's when hunting deer? or in another way...what kinde of dogs are you allowed to use?
    I dont read much about using dogs in the way we do here in Sweden ..thats why i ask .
    Not really but when I hunt in Sweden we used Elkhunds and Plotthunds. Recently the law was changed so you can use Elkhunds and Tax for sambar. Before in driven hunts we used beagles and bloodhounds. Now we can use Harriers. For "other breeds" apart from gun dogs we can use jack russels, fox terriers, tax, finnish spitz, elkhunds, german terriers (but only two at a time).

Here is a picture of them here being used in Australia.

http://www.aussiehoundsmen.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=553

So I Dont think Swedehunter mentioned coursing, he asked "What kinde of dogs do you guy's when hunting deer? " to which the answer is all the common HPRs, Retrevers,terriers and some other breeds and mongrels.