Thread: Buck Fever

Buck Fever

Now I've been shooting deer for about 18 years now and have shot a number of different types of deer.

I was out this evening and within 10 minutes of arriving out comes a pricket and my heart takes off at a million miles an hour! I had to sit there for a few minutes to calm down before taking the shot!!

So my question is, does anyone else still get buck fever, and why do we get it?

Alex

Were you as excited as this?

I would suspect that we all get a touch of "buck fever" now and then when out stalking! I certainly get a hell of a rush when I first spot my "quarry" which sends my heart onto overdrive! - I don't know if that is buck fever or not, I surpose it is.
    When I first spot my "target" I have to work hard to keep in mind that I am on his territory and not him on mine, his sences are much more sensitive than mine and as such he has the odds stacked in his favour!
    That to me is what deer stalking is all about!

Edit: No jamross mate, not quite as bad as that! Savanna certainly was quite excited wasn't she - But she wasn't cold!
    Last edited by FrenchieBoy; 22-11-2015 at 22:48.

I think most have probably seen that video, but I love it! She's an absolute star, 'nobody cares about the bighorn sheep...!!!' She reminds me of what we should all hopefully feel when we get out stalking!

I get it all the time. Indeed I get it worse with foxes - probably the pressure of knowing my farmer friend really likes them shot, and they are constantly moving and not a lot of time like with deer. Shot a big dog fox yesterday - slightly pulled the shot. Any way it was solidly hit with a 7mm bullet and was bolded over. But got up and started walking towards me so gave it a second - again a solid hit. It ran into a gorse cover. Went to find and dog pushed it out. Lots of dark livery looking blood. We tracked it down the wood but it went off into neighbours ground where I don't have permission. Not a happy feeling at all and I know that buck fever caused me to rush the first shot.

I have seen seen this fox on several occasions but have never had the chance of a shot at it, and it took several lambs during the summer, so this added to the pressure. But still i am cross with myself for not making a clean shot

and the reason for buck fever is just a surge of adrenalin to the system getting you ready for the chase.

Whe the day comes that i don't get the buck fever i'll stop hunting.......

Quote Originally Posted by jamross65 View Post
    Were you as excited as this?

Haha yes that was what I was like... but before I had even taken the shot!!

The thing I find strange is that I don't get buck fever every time I shoot. For instance, I shot a big red stag back in September and I took my time and slowly squeezed the shot off with no dramas.... then this fallow pricket comes out and I felt like it was my first deer! I'm glad that I'm not the only one that still gets it!!

I get it all the time, and its much worse with Foxes. I work through it and with it. I find it gets much worse if I have to sit and wait for something to move into correct position etc. And much worse if I am trying to follow it in the scope. But if its - there's a buck, its a shootable one, put rifle up and bang to all works well.

I thinks it very important in stressful situations - and after all that' what Buck fever is - is to have practiced lots and rehearsed in your minds eye many many times, so that when the opportunity presents itself decision making is so much easier.

The one danger of the above approach though is to forget your decision making process and allow your mind to make unguided decisions. Thats when accidents happen - its buck, you see it as a buck, you are confident its a buck and when you walk up to the dead animal its not what you expected type accidents happen.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexN View Post
    Now I've been shooting deer for about 18 years now and have shot a number of different types of deer.

I was out this evening and within 10 minutes of arriving out comes a pricket and my heart takes off at a million miles an hour! I had to sit there for a few minutes to calm down before taking the shot!!

So my question is, does anyone else still get buck fever, and why do we get it?

Alex
    It's the reason that I still go deer stalking...that huge shot of adrenalin when, you have either been wandering around or sitting in a high seat for hours, without seeing anything, wondering if there are any deer on the ground at all...and then you spot one...
    I think the day I don't get the adrenalin buzz, will be the day I give up.