Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chest freezer

Chest freezer

Aaaaarghh. Stupid effing cheap powersave plug came out of the effing wall socket.

I now have a large chest of what smells like Frankenstein's thunderpot. Three butchered carcasses, half a cow and about twenty brace of assorted game to get rid of.

I don't need advice, just to vent (quite literally)...

On the up side... use it as Fox bait... Every cloud...
    “Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.”
    –Fred Bear -

That's an awful waste!
    Also a timely reminder to those with fridge freezers in outbuildings. The fridge bit generally controls the freezer coming on as well. If the ambient temp in your outbuilding drops below that of your fridge setting, neither will come on and your freezer contents gradually rise to ambient temp which generally means thawed!! Keep your fridge set low!
    MS

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    That's an awful waste!
    Also a timely reminder to those with fridge freezers in outbuildings. The fridge bit generally controls the freezer coming on as well. If the ambient temp in your outbuilding drops below that of your fridge setting, neither will come on and your freezer contents gradually rise to ambient temp which generally means thawed!! Keep your fridge set low!
    MS
    I didn't know that, top tip!
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY
    Blog

TM, next time, get a fused spur unit, cut off the offending plug, then wire it up to the fused spur unit.
    The cable will allways be connected, and the circuit protected by the fuse

Could be worse. I once acquired a chest freezer from a friend that was an avid angler. He went up to Alaska for 10 days in July and came home to a freezer that had been full of salmon and other assorted fish. We spent a day venting the garage before anyone could get close enough to even look at the freezer.

Eventually 4 of us skidded it onto a trailer (with at least 3 of the 4 making a vomit run to the bushes) and took it out to another friends farm. Gently got it off the trailer, then tipped it over. Came back in a week with a tractor and loaded the freezer in the bucket. Brought it up to the hog house and washed it out with a pressure washer, then put 5 gallons of bleach in, filled it to the brim with water and left it till October.

Now that is horrible.

Had the joy of cleaning the thing out last night. It was 11pm before I summoned the courage to get some nitrile gloves and a gallon of bleach and go to work. The worst part was getting the slurry out of the bottom. I think I might have to burn my clothes.

The worst smell incident I ever had was a rabbit - I'd jointed it and put what was left into a stockpot with a few veg, covered it in clingfilm and popped it into the conservatory while I got on with other stuff. Then forgot it for two weeks until the by now bloated clingfilm bubble over the top burst. My then-girlfriend and I both had to run out of the house and vomit in the front garden. Then had to take turns holding our breath and running into the house to empty the pan into the loo in stages, before running out purple-faced to suck in some air. Was literally the vilest smell I can imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by tikka_madras View Post
    Now that is horrible.

Had the joy of cleaning the thing out last night. It was 11pm before I summoned the courage to get some nitrile gloves and a gallon of bleach and go to work. The worst part was getting the slurry out of the bottom. I think I might have to burn my clothes.

The worst smell incident I ever had was a rabbit - I'd jointed it and put what was left into a stockpot with a few veg, covered it in clingfilm and popped it into the conservatory while I got on with other stuff. Then forgot it for two weeks until the by now bloated clingfilm bubble over the top burst. My then-girlfriend and I both had to run out of the house and vomit in the front garden. Then had to take turns holding our breath and running into the house to empty the pan into the loo in stages, before running out purple-faced to suck in some air. Was literally the vilest smell I can imagine.
    bet that was good fox bait.
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .

Quote Originally Posted by tikka_madras View Post
    Aaaaarghh. Stupid effing cheap powersave plug came out of the effing wall socket.

I now have a large chest of what smells like Frankenstein's thunderpot. Three butchered carcasses, half a cow and about twenty brace of assorted game to get rid of.

I don't need advice, just to vent (quite literally)...

Been there, done that. Thankfully with less food than you.
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .