Thread: Wintery wkend kiss of death

Wintery wkend kiss of death

Hi all,

just had a wintery weekend by Moffat roe stalking. Wind, snow and minus degrees fri and sat.

Is this a recipe for deer in general to stay in the trees out of sight. The sun came out Sunday and warmed up a little but after 5 stalks still saw nothing.

I appreciate some will come out and I did see some tracks but are these conditions generally the kiss of death

Thanks
    craggy

I've shot many deer in snow (no problem with blood trails) , I guess they will stay in the warm as long as they can until they are hungry

I saw plenty of Roe out in the middle of the day in the sun near Edinburgh and in Fife. My experience with Roe and all deer is that they need to feed every four hours and will be where the good is. Yes if the food is in cover that's where they will be.

Roe are pretty territorial and if you saw hoof prints in the snow then they are around. But they are well camouflaged and can take some finding.

Quote Originally Posted by Craggy View Post
    Hi all,

just had a wintery weekend by Moffat roe stalking. Wind, snow and minus degrees fri and sat.

Is this a recipe for deer in general to stay in the trees out of sight. The sun came out Sunday and warmed up a little but after 5 stalks still saw nothing.

I appreciate some will come out and I did see some tracks but are these conditions generally the kiss of death

Thanks
    craggy
    Me too. Didn't see anything. And when I got to the top of the hill. The wind was forcing the snow like pins hitting my face so no bloody wonder the deer never shown.

Took a young lad out for his first deer, wind, rain turned into snow. Result in 10 minutes one Fallow doe.

Every time a deer comes out it has to be lucky, you only have to be lucky once!
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

In my experience, Roe do not tolerate wind and rain especially a combination of the two.
    However this may be down to location as I bet the Roe in Scotland are more tolerant to bad weather than the more southern Roe.
    Obviosly if there is a food source in a nice sheltered area then that's where they may favour in bad weather and would be where I was looking.

Shot a lot of Roe and Sika in that area, you just have to stick at it in bad weather. Deep snow,wind,rain they still have to feed but I believe most Roe are shot between 10am and 2pm in the winter months.Stalk the burn sides, they are usually more productive when the weather is b....y awful as they provide some shelter and browsing. Always found first light absolutely useless in heavy rain, try mid day next time.
    Honour all men, Love the Brotherhood, Fear God, Honour the Queen.

Keep the Faith.