Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Devon and Cornwall Police - Open Cert Query

  1. #1

    Devon and Cornwall Police - Open Cert Query

    Apologies if this is posted elsewhere, I'm sure it is a common issue..

    I recently had my FAC less restricted, but it still carries the condition that the land needs clearing before I can shoot on it.
    When I have asked D&C police how I have this restriction removed they were vague to say the least. Obviously some land owners don't appreciate a police visit for any number of perfectly legitimate reasons, and I have one such recently-aquired permission in North Devon which I may now not be able to actually shoot for that reason. Moreover, this condition makes it impossible to accept a quick invitation to shoot somewhere without first a) calling the FLD to see if the land is already cleared, and b) waiting an age to have someone come out to clear it.

    The D&C firearms dept said, and I quote; "even with an open certificate the land still needs to be cleared". I'm not sure how this makes sense, as it effectively means anyone in D&C would have a restricted certificate regardless...

    Can anybody with experience dealing with D&C police shed any light on it?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopoldo View Post
    The D&C firearms dept said, and I quote; "even with an open certificate the land still needs to be cleared". I'm not sure how this makes sense, as it effectively means anyone in D&C would have a restricted certificate regardless...

    Can anybody with experience dealing with D&C police shed any light on it?

    Thanks
    Firstly, the land does not need to be cleared if your certificate is 'open'

    D&C police are very good in my experience.
    Looking at your previous posts you have had a FAC for about a year, you also stated you were going to do your DSC1, do you have any guides/experienced stalkers who could provide a reference?
    Just put together some evidence and send in your FAC, it's done on a case by case basis.
    I will do the deer stalking on the North Devon patch until you get it opened up....only joking!
    Best of luck
    Cheers
    Richard

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopoldo View Post
    I recently had my FAC less restricted, but it still carries the condition that the land needs clearing before I can shoot on it.
    In what way have you had your FAC 'less restricted' already? How long have you held it?

    The D&C firearms dept said, and I quote; "even with an open certificate the land still needs to be cleared". I'm not sure how this makes sense, as it effectively means anyone in D&C would have a restricted certificate regardless...
    It makes no sense because it's not the case - unless they are referring to the single piece of land that you need to support your 'good reason' for x, y or z firearm, (assuming you have nominated land rather than relying on paid stalking, invitaions, etc.

    Best to compose a well thought out letter to the head of the FLD outlining your reason for requesting the condition be removed and provide supporting evidence.

    Oh, and I'm closer to North Devon than Richard is!

  4. #4
    I too have always found D&C extremely helpful. If what Richard said that you have only held your FAC for a year then I guess this is the problem. From what I remember it automatically becomes "open" at the next renewal when the problem you outline would disappear?

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by devon deer stalker View Post
    Firstly, the land does not need to be cleared if your certificate is 'open'

    D&C police are very good in my experience.
    Looking at your previous posts you have had a FAC for about a year, you also stated you were going to do your DSC1, do you have any guides/experienced stalkers who could provide a reference?
    Just put together some evidence and send in your FAC, it's done on a case by case basis.
    I will do the deer stalking on the North Devon patch until you get it opened up....only joking!
    Best of luck
    Cheers
    Richard
    Thanks, Richard

    Yes, I've actually had my FAC just less than a year, and just had the "accompanied" condition removed, enabling me to stalk on my own.
    I'm not in a big rush to get the last condition removed, more just curious because D&C police were so vague and noncommittal in their responses to my queries.
    I can certainly get references, and I have done a LANTRA DMQ earlier in the year. In that regard I'm quite happy to put together a case in another few months.

    Thanks for the input. You wouldn't want the land in north Devon, I'm sure. Like most of my permissions, it's not the best....

  6. #6
    Has any of the land been shot on with a CF rifle before by anyone?

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Dickie View Post
    Has any of the land been shot on with a CF rifle before by anyone?
    Not under the current owners.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopoldo View Post
    Thanks, Richard

    Yes, I've actually had my FAC just less than a year, and just had the "accompanied" condition removed, enabling me to stalk on my own.
    I'm not in a big rush to get the last condition removed, more just curious because D&C police were so vague and noncommittal in their responses to my queries.
    I can certainly get references, and I have done a LANTRA DMQ earlier in the year. In that regard I'm quite happy to put together a case in another few months.

    Thanks for the input. You wouldn't want the land in north Devon, I'm sure. Like most of my permissions, it's not the best....
    thats good you should not have had the accompanied/Mentor restriction any way and should also have AOLQ on all cals

    you're unlikely to get the Closed land bit removed quickly without a lot of reasoning and back up /experience especially within a year of grant

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by FGYT View Post
    thats good you should not have had the accompanied/Mentor restriction any way and should also have AOLQ on all cals
    For D&C the mentor condition seems to be standard with new FACs. Why do you say I should not have had it, out of interest?

  10. #10
    FLDs have been specifically instructed by the NPCC (aka continuity ACPO) not to use it. Further reinforced by the recent HMIC report into Firearms Licensing that hauled most police forces over the coals for not implementing the HO Guidance to Police - which does not include 'mentoring' as a valid condition.

Similar Threads

  1. Devon and Cornwall Police Exeter
    By TARGET SPORTS in forum Legal Issues
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 21-07-2016, 11:39
  2. Help on open closed cert conditions please
    By Chasey in forum Legal Issues
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 18-07-2015, 13:48
  3. Replies: 31
    Last Post: 19-11-2014, 00:24
  4. Shotgun cert north Wales police
    By Druid in forum Legal Issues
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-05-2013, 17:00
  5. Open cert
    By bongo in forum Legal Issues
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-02-2013, 21:38

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •