Hares?

Sam

Do hares come under vermin on an FAC, or do you need a specific condition? I would like to get permission for them if I have to as I have been asked to keep the numbers down on a farm.

Also does anyone know about Big Cats (I know... but still)?

Sam

Last edited:
Sam have a read of the document below, it might interest you. Be careful of the conditions on your FAC! If you have "protecting livestock" or some variation on that theme you should be ok, but I would not like you to be in court for breaking the conditions on your FAC.

I have Hares on my .22rf, I specifically asked for them. I was offered ground game, but decided on species specific requests as that was what West Mercia said they wanted.

Atb, ft

Attachments

• Big Cat letter.doc
    72.5 KB · Views: 54
shooting hare with a rifle if you go totaly by the book is a complicated affair. They are classed as game and lamping them shooting at night is another can of worms, along the lines of have to be the owner or occupier of the land and you can only sell them at certain times of the year

Dont want to sell them. Only shooting them whilst stalking, so I think Im good :D

ft - Thanks for that. Looks like I have me a reason to get me some Brenneke slugs:evil:

Thanks

I've nothing against shooting "one for the pot" but they don't cause a problem so I tend to leave them alone.
Spotted 2 last week while driving to one of my permissions but I didn't reach for the rifle, instead I grabbed my binoculars and sat watching them until the bin's started to give me eye strain, then I moved on to do the job I was there for.

Hi all.

Si - They are causing a problem on this particular block. Having to re-stock 5000 trees this year because of combined Deer and Hare damage (hares are eating the new trees and roe the elder)

Irwch - I wont be shooting them till August probably, for the reason you stated. I already knew but thanks.

I have never shot hares before, never had the need, or desire. We are asked to and its only right you do as you are asked (IMO) as long as it is legal and "right" ie. not orphaning young etc. when you are enjoying the sport for the grand cost of nowt.

Sam

Last edited:
There is a MOD ex-airfield near where i live, the tennant farmers that surround it used to have a hare shoot but stopped. For many years the hares seemed to decline, this happened at the same time as buzzards arrived in the early 1980's, but now they are a very common sight again. Even to the extent where the tennants are considering a hare shoot again.

I see a lot when I am out lamping too.

ft

I think rifling hares is better than shotgunning, I hate hares screaming.

Last edited:
My old man would go mad if I shot hares he strongly belives if you have hares then the farm or ground is doing well and has observed this over the years.
I have been tempted sometimes to shoot the lot when out stalking because of them spooking the deer

There is a MOD ex-airfield near where i live, the tennant farmers that surround it used to have a hare shoot but stopped. For many years the hares seemed to decline, this happened at the same time as buzzards arrived in the early 1980's, but now they are a very common sight again. Even to the extent where the tennants are considering a hare shoot again.

The huge number of illegals courseing and the introduction of D Low OSR and its associated sprays along with the increase in Buzzard and Fox numbers was what caused the demise of our hare populations.
The sprays have changed, and the increase in the number of people who view fox lamping as a sport has meant we have started to see a gradual increase in Hare survival rates. The bloody Buzzards still give them a caning but theres bugger all you can do about that, and the Hunting Act making coursing a criminal act has helped as well.
No one like hearing a hare scream. Stupidly people still try shotgunning hares using 6's at to great a distance.

Last edited:
i had them as a 'ground game' condition on my fac. many years ago i liked the odd 1 or 2 , but now i leave them alone, kenntuky fried rabbit is much tastier , & i dont kill for the fun ! hope that helps.
says here NOT shot betwen april 1 - dec 10

http://www.sacs.org.uk/default.htm

Last edited:
I assume you mean Alder not Elder.

Elder is a weedy shrub tree that deer don't eat and forester's tend not to plant. Alder on the other hand is a water loving broadleaf typically growing alongside streams and wet places. Alder is generally low on the Roe hit list compared with other broadleaves so I guess you got a few deer there!!

Back