Encouraging deer to a chosen spot?

FrenchieBoy

I'm seeking a little advice from those with more experience in Roe Deer Management than me.
I have a small wood of about 30 acres that regularly holds roe deer. I plan on taking out a couple of the older does shortly (With the landowners blessing) as they are getting quite old and scrawny and are unlikely to produce any more affspring now. Because I have not shot any roe in this woodland for 6 years or so (At the owners request) there is now a good head of younger and very healthy deer that frequent this woodland which we would like to maintain so as to keep a good healthy stock. (It is not uncommon for me to "bump" at least three or four deer every time I walk through this woodland) The landowners do understand that in order to maintain a good and healthy herd there needs to be a management plan in operation which they have asked me to impliment as I am the only shooter allowed on their land.
The woodland has to be approached in a particular way or there is no safe shot available and I know the deer runs and regular haunts where these deer use to lay up during the day. With this in mind what I would like to do (If it is possible and practical) is to start up some sort of a feeding station to try to lure them into a place where the older ones can be safely shot.
I was thinking about some sort of a feeder or maybe spreding some carrots (Or similar) in the area where I want them. Is this possible/practical, and if so what sort of feed should I spread around. Also, if I am going to use some sort of a "feeder" is it possible to make my own and what sort of feed would be best to use in it please?
All practical thoughts, suggestions and ideas welocme guys.

1. It is illegal to bait deer and than shoot them on that baiting station.
2. It is not illegal to shoot deer traveling to or from a baiting station.

Personally I believe if you have issues finding a spot with a safe backstop it makes sense to lure deer to a safe shooting position using bait and than shoot them near, but not on the baiting station.
Anyway, the use of salt licks is an accepted practice, I would argue there is no difference between salt, a bag of carrots or some minced up sugar-beet all splashed with some aniseed oil.
You should also always consider the landowners objectives. If you are there to reduce the amount of deer, how does the landowner feel about you trying to attract the deer?

So ambiguity all around, lots of people do, lots of people don't. It all depends on the individual circumstances.

Last edited:
Apple mush from cider makers also is a good attractant put in buckets and left once per week in the desired area looks just like an upturned sandcastle.
This below is what is very common in Germany with oats or similar grains put in the lower tray to be relative dry and out of the rain.
Martin
View attachment 63732

I would consider one or two high seats, which may help with the back stop / ground issue, sited to suit the local prevailing wind. It will also help you observe what is going on and their habits. I have used salt licks and fed carrots and sugar beet during the winter with some success, but these are positioned at established crossing points rather than drawing deer to a specific location. On your doe cull, I would be tempted to cull a cross section of ages as a starting point e.g old, middle aged and youngsters, then assess what is left. No egg sucking intended and good luck.

Personally I believe if you have issues finding a spot with a safe backstop it makes sense to lure deer to a safe shooting position using bait and than shoot them near, but not on the baiting station.
Anyway, the use of salt licks is an accepted practice, I would argue there is no difference between salt, a bag of carrots or some minced up sugar-beet all splashed with some aniseed oil.
You should also always consider the landowners objectives. If you are there to reduce the amount of deer, how does the landowner feel about you trying to attract the deer?

So ambiguity all around, lots of people do, lots of people don't. It all depends on the individual circumstances.

I wasn't aware of that Eric but I will take note of it. The answer to that is to quite simply shoot whichever deer I want to cull out either on it's way to or just as it leaves the "bait station.
With regards to the other replies/advice:
The landowner is happy to go with what I think best, which is to just cull out the few of the older/oldest deer which are not likely to have young again. The landowner sees no problem with attracting other deer into the area - This is purely a culling exercise to keep the population healthy and stable. They quite like seeing the deer and they are working on making this wood as wildlife friendly as possible but do realise that culling is needed now and then, and this is all I am trying to do - Which they are perfectly happy with - Their exact words were "It is up to you to do whatever you think best to manage the deer and we will go along with whatever action you think is best"!
I had thought about apples (Either whole of mushed up) but they are not too plentiful or cheap around here - To be honest I don't even know where I could get any cyder mush (Locally) or what it would cost!.
The general idea of trying to attract them to any selected spot is purely to ensure a safe shot is possible when needed!
High seats are not too practical or financially viable in this small woodland or that might well have been the option I would have chosen.
My main question now seems to be what to use for "bait" in order to encourage them into a generally safe area - I was thinking about carrots (Which are readily available at reasonable prices from pet food/equine suppliers and maybe a couple of salt/mineral licks - Any suggestions as to which salt/mineral licks are best please?

That's not right mate, it's perfectly acceptable to feed and shoot deer. You may be confusing the issue by the term 'Bait' being used?
It is illegal to 'Bait' deer with stupefying drugs.
MS

Ive tried molasses deer licks ( in the small buckets) on a small piece of ground that i manage, roe/muntys seems to be attracted to that spot quite well,

Mollasses has been mentioned, if it is any use where might I get some and how would I use it please? - Maybe mixed with corn or something?
And what about something along the lines of anisede, could something "aromatic" like that be used as an attractant.

p.s. AndrewT059 - Those deer licks you've tried? - I've heard about dog licks (Usually happens just after closing time - So I'm told) but there must have some pretty friendly deer where you get that happening! - I guess there's nothing like getting "Up close and personal eh"?:rofl:

'' The Molasser i placed out for the deer i bought from bushwear'' :lol: think its called molasser munchies comes in little buckets, already mix with corn etc,

'' The Molasser i placed out for the deer i bought from bushwear'' :lol: think its called molasser munchies comes in little buckets, already mix with corn etc,

Thanks for that info, it does sound interesting. Did you find that it did attract any deer?
Did you just spread it about on the ground or did you use a pheasant feeder type of thing for it please?

No, i just tipped it out on the tree stump, its quite hard/press together, but will soon start to mull away (soak in to stump) once the rain gets at it, even after it was all cleaned up by the deer, they was still coming back to the spot licking/nibbling at the stump,

I did had some videos on the wildlife cam of the deer coming into the molassers, will try and find them,

I found an article on the insructables on how to make your own Molasses Deer Lick but I am not able to post the link on here but it should come up if you put it into google

Last edited:
Back