Thread: Pulsar HD38s picture deterioration?

Pulsar HD38s picture deterioration?

Had a Pulsar HD38s for about 8/9 months, when I first got it it was as clear as a bell on both white and black heat, after about 5/6 months there has been a huge deterioration of picture quality. I used to be able to scan with it when it was still daylight and pick up deer, fox, rabbits etc with no problem, now, not a chance! Had it out tonight and it seems to be getting worse, it was sent back to scotcountry but it came back without any improvement. Has anyone had/heard of this problem? It will be going back this week but was interested if anyone knew what the problem was?

8/9 months ago it was cold.... you sure that's not the issue? They are a bit fussy about conditions

i heard they develop a black spot in the middle? but at their price they need to be right!
    They have a 3yr warranty so should be sorted without too much bother?
    I will look forward to hearing how it gets sorted. Good luck

SD Regular
    Couple of ideas:

(1) What batteries are you using? Rechargeables do deteriorate over time - and the battery packs are notoriously fickle. Make sure connections etc are clean and the batteries delivering the power they should. I'd recommend Kentli or Eneloop Pro if you're going to replace your batteries.

(2) When you say you can't use it in the day - what can you see and at what range. As you're looking at a temperature map and not a sight map, time of day really shouldn't make a difference - other than at night the temperature normalises more quickly and the view is far less clear overall.

Statement of the obvious - but lenses are clean and dry - and settings are at default in terms of brightness and contrast? Just clearing out the obvious......
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

SD Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by rodp View Post
    Isn't it Scott Country who tend to send stuff back with a "Nothing wrong with it !" note ?

Question, not statement.
    In what way is this over generalised conjecture useful to the OP? Question, not statement.
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

The weather plays a big part in image quality, rain, high humidity, fog, damp nights cause everything to be a similar temp, and the image can go to rat ****, losing all detail in surrounding terrain, try again on a nice dry cold night and see if it makes a difference.
    Last edited by .243Hunter; 26-11-2015 at 15:16.

Quote Originally Posted by rodp View Post
    Isn't it Scott Country who tend to send stuff back with a "Nothing wrong with it !" note ?

Question, not statement.
    Firstly, we are a retailer of Pulsar equipment we are not the manufacturer so follow their protocol in dealing with any return.

If anyone has an issue with the testing of a warranty returned Pulsar product, please feel free to contact me by email at our office, and i am happy to furnish you with the UK distributor Sales Managers personal email address, and he will be more than happy to assist you.

Any products returned with a fault under warranty are returned to Pulsar's distributor for a test report using their own Pulsar approved testing method if there is any evidence of a warranty issue whatsoever.

If we test a unit here and find there is absolutely no fault with the unit, we would either offer to return it to the Pulsar service centre for a further test report, or to return to the customer if 100% no fault is found.

In answer to your question....no we would not "send stuff back with a nothing wrong with it note" unless we have tested something extensively ourselves and found "nothing wrong with it"

Regards

Paul Stewart
    Sales Manager

SD Regular
    Just another thought - the calibration mode is set to auto and not manual, isn't it?

Would be interesting to have an update from the OP on his findings so far.

It would appear that Pulsar are responsible for their own equipment, with Scotcountry being the agent, Paul has described the method of testing carries out and offered to provide the OP with a useful email address. What else can he do? I am getting sick and tired of the lynch mob mentality and the barbed questions from "well meaning" folk who have no interest in the thread. We are constantly being reminded by members that there is a growth tendency in these type of posts non of which do the site any good at all. So be warned any future posts of this ilk will be removed and if the poster insists on making such poats they also shall be removed.

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses