Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: New EU firearms licensing directive

New EU firearms licensing directive

Anyone seen the new proposals from the EU in light of the recent terror attacks?

just wondered what people thought and how it would affect us in terms of our current legislation?

The standard medical test is plain common sense, is compulsory in many countries.
    I didn't got it what did they mean by ''bringing the collectors and sound moderators within the scope of the directive'' though...

Doesn't seem too unreasonable to me. Certainly clears up some of the things panic merchants have been spinning, including the fact that semi auto shotguns will remain.

I have no objection to the medical requirements but think the 5 year ceiling on certificates is a backward step

http://http://basc.org.uk/blog/press...rms-directive/

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Excuse my ignorance. But isn't the 5 year ceiling the same as renewing every 5 years?

Yes, but this seems to be about tightening up rules in all countries in the EU,many of which don't have as strict laws as we do. Thus I'd assumed somewhere else in the EU it's more than 5...

It seems that for us (UK) the proposed changes would have minimal effect. Other countries would be brought in line with what we do already.
    Pity about the 5 yr suggestion though, when it appeared that the negotiators were quite close to agreeing on 10 yr licenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Redleicester View Post
    Yes, but this seems to be about tightening up rules in all countries in the EU,many of which don't have as strict laws as we do. Thus I'd assumed somewhere else in the EU it's more than 5...
    Got it. Thanks.

Being devils advocate...only a complete idiot would embark into the public domain with an AK 47 OR M16 rimfire in the current climate....for vermin...whats the problem with a good semi CZ/Marlin etc?

My sentiments exactly, though some wont see it that way. To my mind only a "gun nut" would want a rim fire that looks like an AK47. There is nothing in these proposals to worry responsible sporting shooters