New EU firearms licensing directive

Boarboy

Anyone seen the new proposals from the EU in light of the recent terror attacks?

just wondered what people thought and how it would affect us in terms of our current legislation?

The standard medical test is plain common sense, is compulsory in many countries.
I didn't got it what did they mean by ''bringing the collectors and sound moderators within the scope of the directive'' though...

Yes, but this seems to be about tightening up rules in all countries in the EU,many of which don't have as strict laws as we do. Thus I'd assumed somewhere else in the EU it's more than 5...

It seems that for us (UK) the proposed changes would have minimal effect. Other countries would be brought in line with what we do already.
Pity about the 5 yr suggestion though, when it appeared that the negotiators were quite close to agreeing on 10 yr licenses.

Being devils advocate...only a complete idiot would embark into the public domain with an AK 47 OR M16 rimfire in the current climate....for vermin...whats the problem with a good semi CZ/Marlin etc?:stir:

My sentiments exactly, though some wont see it that way. To my mind only a "gun nut" would want a rim fire that looks like an AK47. There is nothing in these proposals to worry responsible sporting shooters

My sentiments exactly, though some wont see it that way. To my mind only a "gun nut" would want a rim fire that looks like an AK47. There is nothing in these proposals to worry responsible sporting shooters

+1slider

So what makes your opinion of value - if somebody has a FAC and wants one what's the problem.
YOU are the enemy within.
What other self opinionated claptrap will you come out with next!
AND no I don't have, or want, one of the AK lookalikes.

So what makes your opinion of value - if somebody has a FAC and wants one what's the problem.
YOU are the enemy within.
What other self opinionated claptrap will you come out with next!
AND no I don't have, or want, one of the AK lookalikes.

What make my opinion value is that its mine and i am as entitled to MY opinion as you are to yours. I love my sport and in MY opinion my guns are my tools and shouldnt be represented as something that the public find more sinister

Slightly off topic, but -

None of the proposals would have made a jot of difference to what happened in France, criminals/terrorists don't give a monkey's about the law and can freely obtain illegal automatic weapons through the black market in any EU country, as has been proven time and time again.

The EU's (and Britain's) open door policy to immigrants has proved to be an absolute security nightmare and I am afraid to say it's a case of shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted.

Incredibly the powers to be in the UK have seen fit to allow 450 so called "UK citizens" who have fought for ISIS to return to this country totally uninhibited and have allowed these people to freely return to the streets of the U.K.

These terrorists will no doubt, be be free to brainwash others into joining the ISIS cause and will now live here, very probably plotting against or own country. How many £millions will we now have to waste monitoring them.

These people have already broken the law here by fighting an illegal war in another country so why haven't they been arrested????? ....Or at the very least been refused entry back into the UK.

Predictably in a massive set of double standards, people have been jailed in the UK for attempting to go to Syria to fight AGAINST ISIS!

You couldn't make this stuff up!!

Last edited:
Oh! But the public finds all guns sinister.
Fools give away the right to have an AK look alike. Where I live, half of the hunting rifles I see on UK web sites -with tactical bolts, adjustable stocks, AICS magazines, large magnification scopes, and bipods and suppressors-would look like what they are: Sniper rifles. Very sinister, indeed.

You'd better get into the habit of defending the person whose boat floats on a lookalike AK or AR-15 -whether you think they are worthy of 'the sport' or not- because once that bit of sinister is taken from the public eye, they will go for anything that isn't a break open shotgun. ~Muir

Last edited:
Does seem a bit odd at times some of the things that go on. Almost as if deep down they don't really want to remove isis but have to make it look as though they do :?:

You stand more chance of getting shot by the ART IMHO if you are carrying what is generally perceived as an assault rifle than maybe a "normal" hunting firearm..common sense really...shooters have to be seen to be responsible in all aspects....I would also suggest that the clones in .22 rimfire should be retained for Range/Gallery use,and not banned ie retained for sport outside of the public view.We had a problem in practical pistol when people showed up dressed up like NYPD SWAT....I am only the messenger of the majority of shooters who think that overtly military firearms have no place in the public domain, I would however concede that even a "normal "rifle is often described as a Sniper Rifle when it has a telescopic sight....so maybe we are all f....d!

It is typical that in response to anything involving illegal firearms the answer seems to be to punish those who hold them legally.

Having said that, I have to agree with the earlier posters (slider and cervus) re: military look-alike "weapons" for sporting purposes. Can't see any reason for them, other than for posers or wannabe soldiers who aren't tough enough to join the real army. Everything about them is just perfect to give the general public the jitters, and give sporting firearms owners a dodgy reputation.

Where will it stop though? To reply to some of the posters, as long some type of ban or restriction affects somebody else it's ok then is it? As an example of this type of thinking you can argue the case for banning a lot more.

Do we really need 25 round magazines for a Ruger 10/22. Actually, do we need a 10 round magazine when 5 is more than adequate, thinking about it, 5 rounds are too many.

Actually 10/22's and all other semi auto .22 rifles should be banned. We should only be allowed bolt action .22's, and not with 10 round magazines either, On reflection a 5 round .22magazine is too many also, think of the damage that could be done if it got into the wrong hands?

Now we've dealt with that, we don't need magazines with any more than 3 shots on a stalking rifle do we???..... Of course not, we don't need them on shotguns so why should stalking rifles be any different.

My point is I think we should support each other!

note.... To clear up any confusion, this post has been sarcastically written to emphasise a point.... I am saying it could eventually be .22 semi autos and high capacity magazines next.

Last edited:
Where will it stop though?..... As an example of this type of thinking you can argue the case for banning a lot more.

Do we really need 25 round magazines for a Ruger 10/22. Actually, do we need 10 round magazines? 5 is more than adequate, thinking about it, 5 rounds are too many. Thinking about it 10/22's and all other semi auto .22 rifles should be banned. We should only be allowed bolt action .22's, and not with 10 round magazines either, thinking about it, a 5 round .22magazine is too many also.

Now we've dealt with that, we don't need magazines with any more than 3 shots on a stalking rifle do we??
I am from the generation that lost fullbore semi auto rifles and pistols...both precipitated by a nutter ie Hungerford/Dunblane....so is prevention better than cure and to think that we have any real say in future firearms control is a dreamscape!

Back