Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Muzzle breaks

Muzzle breaks

I was just watching something on you tube about a muzzle break fitted to a 30-06. Now I know it's not going to reduce noise in any way, but the recoil reduction and the rifle weight reduction was something of interest. How much more would they reduce the recoil as opposed to a moderator? Are there any rules on muzzle breaks say for driven boar abroad? Just interested as its something I've never looked into before.

I recon I watched the very same on you tube recently was it on a r93? Anyway did they say it would reduce recoil by 50%?
    “Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.”
    –Fred Bear -

Quote Originally Posted by White Hart View Post
    I recon I watched the very same on you tube recently was it on a r93? Anyway did they say it would reduce recoil by 50%?
    Ha ha. Yes. That's the one. Recoil reduction by 50% he reckoned. Just doing a bit more research and what you gain in recoil reduction is clearly made up by increased noise! Still thinking about it though. It would go on a .308 r93. Mainly in woodlands.

The side blast would certainly cut down the brash in the woodland kabooooooom

Ps it may even stun a few munty's laying up in the brash

Personal experience, though limited to 308 a 7mm & 300win mag, was that recoil was less than without the brake, but very much directional straight into the shoulder, less muzzle flip but loud as bu**ery..

I had an Abolt in 7mm08 some years ago. It had the BOSS brake system fitted. Two rounds in tight woodland buggered my ears for days and is probably the root cause of my tinnitus problems now. A couple of years after that we were graciously granted "silencers" as it was decided we weren't all assassins and my ears have never looked back (if ears can look anywhere?)
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by long_range_rob View Post
    I had an Abolt in 7mm08 some years ago. It had the BOSS brake system fitted. Two rounds in tight woodland buggered my ears for days and is probably the root cause of my tinnitus problems now. A couple of years after that we were graciously granted "silencers" as it was decided we weren't all assassins and my ears have never looked back (if ears can look anywhere?)
    Yes.. I think given that one of my fields is bordered by an anti with horses, the noise issue might not be a good idea!

I should be picking one up tomorrow with the main reason for it being target shooting so I don't have to put excessive wear on my moderator. I'll always be wearing ear defenders so noise isn't such a worry and it has rear facing ports so recoil should be reduced.

My win mag is a bit more noisy with the brake on, ( Perceived, prolly because the gases & blast effect are directed rearward & sideways), with the moderator on it is less likely to give muzzle flip.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Blog Entries
    I had Dolphin Rifles do the muzzle break on my Sako 75 .300 Win Mag. Before it was uncomfortable to shoot and afterwards it is a pussy cat.

Muzzle breaks are pretty unpleasant to shoot next to but no issue to be behind.

On our rainy little Island with such a density of population a moderator makes sense and does a similar job of taming recoil. Obviously in the USA and a lot of Europe moderators are an assassins tool and mere mortals must not own them.
    Yes I should have taken the Blue Pill!

We were so busy congratulating ourself of dodging Orwells vision we marched right into Huxley's.