Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My truck (Hyundai Terracan) finally will cost me too much to repair & need new wheels

My truck (Hyundai Terracan) finally will cost me too much to repair & need new wheels

And I have no idea what I want to replace it.
    it only went in for a clutch and now :-
    Engine sump is almost is rusted through
    a new clutch is needed (I knew that)
    flywheel is distorted = so that"s why I was feeling the vibration
    It needs 2x rear brake discs
    It needs all 4x brake pads renewed
    All propshaft bearing are well worn

The body work has no corrosion as it is double galvanised. I did not see this one coming.

I just put new winter and summer tyres on it too.
    Oh I am gutted.
    Martin

Hi Martin, to have reached that stage the Terracan must have been put through it's paces, they are built like tanks.
    I had a couple and never had any problems at all but then I did change them when the guarantee ran out.
    It's a shame they don't make them any more.
    I have since gone over to Discoverys, a lot more to pay out in the beginning but not too bad on part ex when the guarantee runs out.

I bought it new in 2004 when my disco was stolen off of a garage"s hoist in Germany, I kid you not.
    The garages insurance payout helped to fund it.
    I have been more than happy/comfortable with it still on original exhaust and the battery was only changed in Feb this year so they were using good materials the body is still rustfree but having spent 1500 euros in July and now being asked to fork out 3800 euros if I was to get it repaired makes it time to put a .45 ACP through the bonnet and bury it with full honours.
    I am tending towards a new Suzuki Grand Vitara 4 door because of the robust reputation and seperate chassis.
    Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Bavarianbrit View Post
    And I have no idea what I want to replace it.
    it only went in for a clutch and now :-
    Engine sump is almost is rusted through
    a new clutch is needed (I knew that)
    flywheel is distorted = so that"s why I was feeling the vibration
    It needs 2x rear brake discs
    It needs all 4x brake pads renewed
    All propshaft bearing are well worn

The body work has no corrosion as it is double galvanised. I did not see this one coming.

I just put new winter and summer tyres on it too.
    Oh I am gutted.
    Martin
    Hi Martin,
    how many miles did you put on the beast? got one myself and just wondering when your big bills started.
    Cheers,
    John

3800 Euro sounds kind of steep. If the transmission is already out for the clutch replacement, I really cannot see any job-intensive tasks.

Flywheel can be a bit expensive and also propshaft if they want to sell it in assembled unit with bearings. But still...

I got fed up spending a fortune on keeping a truck on the road, so now contract hire. See my thread on the subject.

Now got brand new mitsubish double cab pickup for 190 per month. Works out much cheaper than buying and maintaining.

Quote Originally Posted by vizslamad View Post
    Hi Martin,
    how many miles did you put on the beast? got one myself and just wondering when your big bills started.
    Cheers,
    John
    At 240,000 kms
    It had been super until then.
    Martin

Found a Tata Xenon double cab here in Germany with 35000km for only 6600 Euros (not made here) they were looking like tough old trucks when I worked in India and they use them hard I am thinking about it.
    Got to get mobile again fast.
    Martin

If you were prepared to pay for a clutch, then adding a flywheel skim won't hurt.
    The rest can be done later, and perhaps a sump pan can be found s/h.

Neil.

The mechanics in Germany don"t do skims it is all replacements here due to hourly rates charged.
    As I have just had new summer & winter tyres fitted it made sense to go for a like sized rail to run for a few years.
    If I was in the UK it would have gone differently.
    I have agreed the Tata at 6700 Euros so will pick it up (pun) next week.
    After 50 years of working in auto development it"s made me 100% disinterested in tin boxes with 4 wheels,
    I am on the Q7 project at the moment and it is seriously overpriced (caused by rejecting good parts from all the suppliers due to stupid mini faults) ie a small nick on a centre console side panel along the bottom edge where when it is fitted the carpet pile would have hidden the fault = a 400 Euro centre console is scrapped.
    Martin