Time for some Inspitation

Ade8mm

I greatly enjoy SD Forum. Spending more much more time than I would prefer away from home, SD Forum is a great "touchstone" that keeps me in touch with hunting and so on that allows me to enjoy,albeit somewhat vicariously,what SD members are up to.

However...

I have started to become increasingly dismayed with many posts in the "off topic" section of the forum.. Negative, (to put it nicely) stuff . Problems with terrorists, immigrants, attempted character assassinations vis Stock refinishing work etc, etc.. (Well done JAYB for closing that one - better late than never)

I would dearly like to post more about my hunting exploits but they are currently few (unless Tuna fishing with fly rod count)?..

How about some positive and inspiring posts in the 'OFF TOPIC' section?

Anyone up for the challenge?

Last edited:
Reactions: VSS
I greatly enjoy SD Forum. Spending more much more time than I would prefer away from home, SD Forum is a great "touchstone" that keeps me in touch with hunting and so on that allows me to enjoy,albeit somewhat vicariously,what SD members are up to.

However...

I have started to become increasingly dismayed with many posts in the "off topic" section of the forum.. Negative, (to put it nicely) stuff . Problems with terrorists, immigrants, attempted character assassinations vis Stock refinishing work etc, etc.. (Well done JAYB for closing that one - better late than never)

I would dearly like to post more about my hunting exploits but they are currently few (unless Tuna fishing with fly rod count)?..

How about some positive and inspiring posts in the 'OFF TOPIC' section?

Anyone up for the challenge?

It has often been said a picture paints a thousand words....

Load up you picture gallery for starters, something to get the ball rolling..

Tim.243

"Fish Grin" !
Long tail Tuna 25 /1/4lbs 15wt rod. Big reel. She took 150 yrds + on the first run. Home made fly. Brilliant day. Off tomorrow (4 hours time) maybe hook another!!

Last edited:
Yellowfin Tuna

That's me with the requested "fish grin" (last week end) :) (right of picture)

Last edited:
Hi Oager

Very good question. The simple answer is both…….

If chucking flies fails, bear in mind the ocean is a big place what I aim to do is catch a Dorado on conventional gear then when he is near the boat cast a fly at his mate . Oftentimes the hooked fish will regurgitate his latest meal and the rest follow. Hit them with a well placed fly and it is awesome (much overused word but it applies here!) With a couple of 12 wts fly rods this can be kept up for ages. We have also had a few sharks on the fly as a result :)

The long tail Tuna was result of casting. A real bitch on a 15wt and although the Long Tails were feeding all round they were very boat shy. We stalked them in the boat for ages and I managed to snag one on my "Blue Pearl" Tuna fly eventually. It won first prize in a competition we were in though fishing and competition are anathema to me.

Link below …( warning amateur film) Here's a spot of Dorado fishing on the light gear. ( A bit of a stunt. After he filming we moved up to the 10 - 12wt gear and had a further 38 nice fish up to 15 kgs)

Dropbox - Hollis Madness - Dorado on The Fly 3Wt 3lb Test.mp4

Last edited:
Cheers - sounds challenging especially casting heavy lines on a moving boat - bet your shoulders felt that before you even hooked anything!

Sure. With the 15 weight I can manage half a dozen decent casts ( 25 yard plus). After that my wrist is stuffed. Shoulders are fine actually. Have not used the broomstick for a while. Put the big reel on the 12 wt. Might take longer to land a decent fish but is much nicer to fish with especially on the casting front.

Best

Ade

Back